Winter

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Jammer

Re: Winter

Post by Jammer »

-6 degrees F this morning. Ohio is great! Weather guys are obsessing about "Wind Chill" and saying -25 wind chill. Wish they would give the actual temp and just mention the chill factor. Making it confusing. Wind chill doesn't matter to me, I'm not going outside.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, yea, same temps here, and usually for the weather forcast stuff, I just prefer "Too F$T*ing cold...", lol.

I hope everyone's staying warm and hopefully this crap breaks soon. It looks like the weekend is going to warm up tho, supposed to be in the 40s I believe, so hopefully it doesnt rain like it always does, then I can drag the forge out and beat the crap out of some railroad spikes or something, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I was going to make a couple hooks from some 1/4" key stock, then I realized my little furnace didn't survive the move. I used it for a forge furnace a lot. I'll have to reline it. ... when it's warmer.

The 14 day forecast looks a lot warmer, 40's and 50's with only a couple days below freezing.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, well, saturday Im going to probably get my forge and anvil out while it's nice, so bring your key stock along with you and your more than welcome to use the forge. Im just going to use it to bend a few things and then that's it, so it'll already be heated up and running for you. It's not the biggest thing, but perfect size for me, I usually do 5/8 to 1" coil spring in it, so it can easily heat that up, but not so big that it eats alot of coal.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

After lighting coal for 4 years and cleaning up, I really liked the propane forge. Clean and it was very hot. I usually don't do much of any size so it works fine for the little things. I just need a couple hooks to hang skillets on so I'll just use a torch. If I get into something bigger, I'll get in touch. Probably have to plan a whole day of forging, casting and playing with CAD programs. Sounds like fun!!
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, ok then. Ill be firing the stuff up anyhow, tired of sitting in here being bored. I figured that I would just straighten those track spikes up and then I can use them for square stock for making some tool holders and some clamps for projects.

I tried going out to get some firewood and the cold and wind actually was so bad that I almost passed out, i couldnt breathe and when I came back in, it had burnt my lungs to the point that I was breathing off of an inhaler for a little while. It is just absolutely brutal outside atm with the -30F degree windchills... Be careful if you go outside to use the torch, it's beyond brutal out there.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I did that years ago and still can't breathe cold air. Also, froze my fingers so now they just ache when I get cold.

Hey Mike, I heard it's 116 F down there, send some heat this way, don't be stingy. :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Hey Jerry, I keep wondering why you moved back North. I detest being cold. I lived in South Florida for many years and even that got too cold at times. It snowed in Fort Lauderdale one morning for a few minutes. If life should become unworkable here in Mexico, for whatever reason, I plan to move further South. Colombia probably.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Well, it kind of wasn't my first choice. I grew up here and the Grandkids are here but I would have liked to stay in Tenn. My wife was miserable so I was too. The season is so short here compared to the south. But, the summer was too hot a lot of days to do anything. It was pretty hot here but normally is bearable.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

the winters here usually arent as bad as they have been this year, usually they've been pretty mild here and Ive been able to be out casting clear till new years, but this year, it's just been a much more cruel winter everywhere, not just here, lol.