whats you peoples up too

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
cae2100

Re: whats you peoples up too

Post by cae2100 »

looks like it works pretty well, as big of a flare as that thing is, for some reason I thought it was a self aspirating burner, lol. It looks like it should melt some aluminum or brass/bronze pretty quickly.

Here's my T&C grinder that Ive spent most of the time working on lately, lol.

Ive been working on it for a while, but have built it from castings and random pieces of scrap that I could scrounge together, lol. When Im done with it, I should be able to sharpen any tool I would ever need to sharpen, lol. I still need to make a wooden base for it, but after that, it's the tool heads, which the next one is an air spindle/bearing for sharpening endmills and milling cutters, so that'll really come in handy considering pretty much all of my cutters are all dull, lol.
dallen

Post by dallen »

now thats a nice piece of work, I started having thoughts again of steam engines is what got me to uncover my stuff and see if it would still work, plus Brandon whated a burner for what I have no idea cause I figure that now hes got it about the only thing he will melt with it will be lead from the scrap yard to resell on ebay as bullet alloy.

some of the parts look to of been made off of 3d patterns, one part looks like the pattern used a PVC bell reducer as the basis of the pattern.

Hey anyone know how to get the solids in SS to mix back in to the liquid? maybe a paint stirrer in a drill??
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, the steam engine is a past/future project of mine, need to get back to work on mine, but it just went onto the backburner due to lack of machining capabilities/skills, but one of these days Ill get back to it and finish it, lol.

Yea, some of the patterns are 3d printed, but only because I really dislike woodworking, especially now that I know that Im allergic to wood, lol. The other patterns, they're made with whatever I had laying around really, and yea, it was a pvc pipe reducer that I used, I just put some pipes into it to build up the bore so I had machining allowances and had a thick shroud in case a wheel did fail. Thats the one that I said that it has no draft to it and was able to ram it up in the sand without too much issue.

Ive never had sodium silicate with solids in it, only thing I can think of is that it dried out a little bit and some of it crashed out of solution. I dont think I'd really worry about it too much really.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That's really looking good.
My SS has settled out some. I warmed it up and shook the bottle for a long time and it mostly went back into solution. Mine is homebrew, it really doesn't work like normal. I can get a core to harden a little with CO2 but then have to bake it for it to get hard enough to use.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

CAE, I have always had an interest in steam engines, don't know what but its the reason that I got into metal casting. learned some about steam engines the last few years just never actually got around to building the damn thing.

I want to build a vertical enginem and the one that I want to do is if you go by the plans that are on the internet is only about 6 inches tall, I want something a bit larger say 1.5' tall something that if you wanted to you could actually do something with it.

Jammer; I didn't have any trouble getting the stuff to set, I was just wondering if there was a way of getting the solids to mix back in besides using the hand mixer, I throwed one jug away cause I was too lazy to test it to see if it was good. if I have to I can go downtown and get some from trans state foundry.

latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

dallen wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:15 pm
heres a shop of the burner firing on propane, the furnace in this photo is the first furnace that I built many years ago and is till going full throttle I would say even if the lid looks like its going to fall off its still got the same old cheap hinge holding it to the body.

20201017_121903.jpg
How do you get the material to stay in the furnace with it mounted on the ceiling like that? :D
dallen

Post by dallen »

the really hard part is getting the damn lid to stay shut long enough for the melt to actually happen, :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

hows the weather in everyones local, I got trees with half inch of ice on them, and limbs hitting the ground all around me, powers still on thankfully, cause I wouldn't go out in this crap to get the generator but will have to go get gas for it just in case if it thaws out enough.

cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

The weather's been crap here tbh, it's been raining pretty much nonstop and it's hard to get anything done outside, yet alone get any casting done, lol. It's been in the 50s during the day, so it's not too cold luckily, lol. It's kinda odd because everywhere else is usually warmer than the weather we have here, but this year, it's completely opposite, lol.

I plan on getting back started on my steam engine after the grinder is finished, but I need to cast out some round stock for some mandrels and ID laps, and some brass/bronze for some other stuff, lol. Weather kinda kills that for now tho, so hopefully this weekend will be nice so I can do some pouring, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Don't count on it Chirpy, we've got another hurricane coming through the gulf. We're going to have a bunch of rain late in the week. It's a nasty drizzle here today. I went to an auction and bought some junk, just what I need. I didn't stay long.
I don't know what to think David, wasn't it just 110 F a few weeks ago? Now ice and freezing rain!
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Our rainy season is over now and we will have no more rain until June. It's 85 F. here in the day and 70 at night. I have forgotten what it's like to be cold.

Richard