whats you peoples up too

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
dallen

whats you peoples up too

Post by dallen »

I actually uncovered my foundry stuff and am in the process of getting a part ready to cast for a burner for a friend, who will probably never use it. will stick a photo on here tomorrow. Pattern is pretty simple just a couple pvc fittings stuck together with some glue and because of no draft I'm molding it in SS, Anyway thats what I been up to besides my other projects that normally go over budget about 150% and keep me in the poor house.

hope everyones doing good, I told Charlie that if at least two people don't replay to thins I'm taking his blanket away until Christmas :mrgreen:
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
latzanimal

Re: whats you peoples up too

Post by latzanimal »

remodeling the house to keep the wife happy. Tore out Plaster and Lath ceiling in living room last weekend. What a mess!
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Ive done a few castings in greensand using PVC pipe fittings, and it's pretty easy, just keep tapping on the top of them as your drawing the pattern and the sand will slowly move down as your lifting the pattern, and it'll come out clean.

Not much really going on here, just working on trying to get my grinder made and finished before the end of the year, which is my big goal atm, lol. Other than that, just alot of getting things for winter and upgrading my casting setup while waiting on another source for some scrap cast iron.
dallen

Post by dallen »

looks like Charlie gets to keep his blanket and I'll be the one sleeping in the cold.

plaster and sheetrock I try to stay as far from as I can,

I dug out some Sodium Silicate thats been under the kitchen cabinet for like 10 years it seems like, anyway it hardened up when I hit it with some gas, so that will make getting a pourable mold the first go round easier.

Did some google search and it looks like the outfit that I bought the SS from is still in business and hopefully they will sell me some

CAE, I would hit up some small garages and see if they would let you have the stuff like cracked exhaust manifolds and such, I'm in pretty good shape for stuff to melt my nephew is a ford mechanic, ( don't hold it against him ) and he will give me what he takes off, stuff like aluminum control arms melts and pours nice.

I'm hoping to maybe if my back will let me get back into wasting my time and money casting stuff that I don't really need.

DAllen

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I pulled out my small furnace. The refractory didn't survive the move back to Ohio so I'm going to reline it. This time I'll use more insulation. I've got some patterns done so I need to fire up before it gets too cold.
I've been working on the house too. Tore up the floor in the family room and put down new, looks great if I do say so myself. I've done the kitchen, dining room, laundry and small bathroom. Just have to do the master bath and some odds and ends then maybe I'll be done. But I doubt it.

Be warm Charlie!! :D
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

david, I already went around and asked about exhaust manifolds at a few places, but every time I stop in, everyone had forgotten about them and didnt have any, so I kinda gave up on that one. After that, I had to make a part for a crossbow for the neighbor, and he has a junk yard pretty much, and has truckloads of exhaust manifolds he was going to bring down in exchange for machine shop work/fixing things, but we'll have to see how that goes, lol.
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Tell Charlie to quit hogging the blanket.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
dallen

Post by dallen »

Latz, I've told him time and time again but it does about as much good as it did with the ex, I'm still left out in the cold.

CAE, sounds like you have the material situation pretty much sewed up.

Heres a couple of photos. there not the prettiest photos but we did manage to get the part poured in one try which really suprized me the way I had to put the core in it.
IMG_6565.JPG
IMG_6567.JPG
this part is mostly about and 1/8" thick all over except the small end which needed to be thick enough to thread it for 2" pipe. The gate that I use was a pouring hole that was cut with a 5/8" brass tube that almost missed that 1/8" thick edge of the large end.

And as they say on forged and Fire. It will burn, I still need to get a 1.5 to 2" bushing to put it together with so I used a couple fittings that I had laying around to fire it with, I took a little video with my phone but this new computer sucks an doesn't want to connect with my phone.

I'm still totally amazed that this thing poured as long as its been since I've poured anything other then a bullet.

DAllen

cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

looks good david, a decent size casting that is that thin is definetely no easy task to pour and get to fill, lol. I cant wait to see the thing in use.
dallen

Post by dallen »

heres a shop of the burner firing on propane, the furnace in this photo is the first furnace that I built many years ago and is till going full throttle I would say even if the lid looks like its going to fall off its still got the same old cheap hinge holding it to the body.
20201017_121903.jpg