For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
latzanimal

Checkin' in

Post by latzanimal »

Hope all you ol' farts are hanging in there.... Same ol', same ol' here :D
Rasper

Re: Checkin' in

Post by Rasper »

Yes, I am hanging in. At work in the sculpture studio on welded wire pieces.

I have two pieces I need to cast but I have been too lazy to do it. The older I get, the less anxious I am to get out of bed two or three times a night for four nights running to check the temperature in the burn-out kiln.

I got a shot on Thursday, the Chinese variety. That night I hardly slept. I had a fever and felt exactly like I felt back in December when I had covid. I had forgotten how unpleasant that was.

Richard
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Same here, not too much going on, too much work, working on patterns, and pouring them in iron. Im not really an ol fart yet, but sure do feel like it sometimes, at least I havnt yelled at anyone to get off my lawn yet, lol.

I think the covid shot is worse if you have had covid before, everyone that Ive talked to that has had it and gotten the shot said that they got sick to no end from it for around a week, but those that didnt have it before, they got nothing from the shot. Ive also seen different setups using an arduino and pottery kilns that it control the temperature like a PID controller, but it also sends the temps and everything to your phone, so you can check on the progress and temps no matter where you are at.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Arduino is taking over the world. I set up a PID for my kiln but need to get about 15 feet of 6 awg wire for the power. The wire will double as my generator input for back up power.
Working on some electronics, which I don't know much about but watched too much Utoob over the covid winter (14 months and counting, so I'm trying some projects. Just a power supply to start.
http://ofea.org/festivals-and-events/fe ... ation.html Steam show not far from me, may have to check it out.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I don't heat my burn-out kiln with electricity. I wish I could. I use propane with a simple pipe burner.

Electricity here in Mexico is the equivalent of 35 (US) cents per kwh. Probably about 50 cents OZ. Five days at 1000F in this kiln would bankrupt me.

Richard
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Yea, I wasnt talking about controlling the heat with the arduino, just using it to report the temps inside of the kiln and such to your phone. Then you can set up an alarm on your phone if the temperature drops between a certain point because of either something happened with the burner, or you ran out of propane. It was just an idea anyways, and just figured it'd be better than getting out of bed in the middle of the night when you dont really need to, lol.

Jammer, that festival looks like alot of fun, Ill have to check that one out this year, maybe Ill see you there. It looks like slightly larger version of algonquin from the pics and such, lol. I saw flea market, and you always find old tools at those kinds of places, so Im defenitely interested, lol.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all, I've been very busy, just doing stuff, nothing really important, just mainly giving people a helping hand, most days I'm out, so that's a good thing
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I had never heard of Arduino. I am beginning to study the tutorial I found on the web. Sounds ideal for my use in the kiln.

If any of you can suggest places to look and steps to take, I am all ears.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

https://www.youtube.com/c/Dronebotworkshop1/videos

This guy has a lot of info about Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Also has a website and a forum.

Chirpy, I don't know if its larger than Algonquin Mill. Just spread out on the fairgrounds.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Here's something also to think about too for the burnout kiln using a raspberry pi, which is similar to an arduino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y544RNGW9aA
https://makercise.com/kiln-iot/

You can also just look up "kiln temps" and "IOT" on google or whatever you use.

I know it's for controlling an electric kiln, but it still has the stuff to set up the thermocouple and the stuff for the cell phone. Just an idea anyways.