Woodlot and other stuff

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Harry
Site Admin

Woodlot and other stuff

Post by Harry »

Will post some pictures here of what I have been doing lately.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Woodlot and other stuff

Post by Harry »

Outfeed table for the big splitter. Still need to make some wings just after the blade to catch the big logs. Some of these are over 36" diameter and weigh like 300lbs in a 16" thick round so the table needs to be able to catch and stage them for further splitting.
20220129_152449.jpg
20220129_160536.jpg
20220129_161158.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Youngest Daughter came out today to play a little. Tomorrow is her Birthday and she came to get her present :-) We got her a Ninja Creami, had already gotten one for the oldest Daughter for xMas and it seems they like it pretty well.

Alaskan Mill. I am looking at a TMG Bandsaw Mill, this thing is just way more work than my lazy ass is capable of mustering.
20220129_114403_01.jpg
Good idea of the type of logs I am dealing with here. I originally bought a smaller splitter with no log lift and split about a cord wiht it then ordered the larger one, lol... there is just no way I am gonna deal with logs this size without the lift.
20220129_112914.jpg
She was quite proud of milling out this board, its a real nice board :-) It was a side piece off the top cut. As I get down into this log I will get two 2 x 6 x 16' boards each slice. I need a couple dozen to do the cow/pig feed pen and shelter. Takes about a half hour or so each slice to mill. Thats Fuel, sharpen, cut then rip using a circular saw.
20220129_162412.jpg
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

More shots of milling.
20220126_141432.jpg
20220126_145852.jpg
20220127_131307.jpg
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Few other random shots on the firewood part
20220118_132656.jpg
Half cord boxes. I built 8 of these and plan to make a dozen or so more of them. Great to have dry wood ready to load and less handling as they are stacked while splitting.
20220116_142533.jpg
Setting up a great photo shoot next week. A neighbor has a cute 4 year old and I bought a Paul Bunyon getup for him, boots, red/black checked shirt, jean and suspenders. We are going to stand up a log with bark and chop a cut into it and get shots with him and an axe. Gonna be like big budget ad campaign stuff, cant wait. Wife has also been doing dye sublimation and she is going to make stainless steel double walled tumblers with the picture and our info on it.

Calling the Firewood business "Hearth Warmers"
20220121_101040.jpg
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ordered this tonight so I can deal with thicker slabs. Looked at the Makita and Skil and decided this is the one to have for a 16 5/16" circular saw. Cheaper, lighter and a wormdrive. My wormdrive 7 1/4" Skilsaw is 40 years old and I bought it new when I was 18. It was the year they did the gold saw for their 50th anniversary. In 10 years if I am still kicking and they do a 100th anniversary saw I will buy it :-)
Skilsaw.jpg
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077S ... UTF8&psc=1
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks like a lot of fun times and backaches. We have so many Amish sawmills around here, we can just go ask them to cut what we need. They will for a fee. I don't know, they may be expensive. I used to go get slabs for firewood and it was cheap. About $8 for all I could fit into my little truck.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I had an Alaskan Mill back when I was in the wood boat business. It had a two cylinder Solo chainsaw engine. Sounded more like a crotch-rocket motorcycle than a chainsaw. I used it mostly for cherry and walnut logs.

When I started to build a small ship, I bought five eighteen-wheeler loads of 25 foot white oak logs. I did not tackle those with the chainsaw mill. I knew a retired sawyer who had a nice Frick sawmill behind his house that could handle those long logs. The old man was the sawyer; my crew and I rolled the cants on the sawmill bed. Talk about hard work.

Richard
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

This is the mill I ended up buying, I also got 2 extensions so it will go just about 23 feet in length.

Have been having a load of fun with all this cheap wood and making a few extra bucks making benches and other projects.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Muller