For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Firewood

Post by Harry »

20230204_160207.jpg
20230203_151155.jpg
20230204_162213.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Also going to have 100 or so feet of 8 foot high wall along there for leanto so I can dry store stickered wood. Its all 4x4 posts and 1 1/2" lumber. There is 32 feet of wall running N/S (sun is setting in the west) that will continue another 32 feet N then from that far corner of the tool room will also go 64' S (sorta left)

The wall coming back in towards the power pole is 24' and at the close end of it is where the chop saw will sit. Outfeed table for the table saw will be along the near side of the tool room. Both saws will be set up to handle 16' lumber.

I am so stoked to see this coming along. Have just started this last February I am feeling my 1 year on this is showing tons of progress.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLzKCvFecjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1271W87pQ0&t=1628s

Harry, this is a festival that Pat, Chirpy and I went to last year. I took this video and cae2100 is the second one. I could watch them saw lumber about all day. There was so much other stuff going on we had to try to see it all.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

All sorts of awesome going on there Jammer.

I never go to things like that, seems I stay wrapped up on our little patch here all the time. Maybe when the Mrs retires we will try some of that.

Was telling the wife tonight it amazes me to see a project in my head and go out to the mill with a log and come back and build it.

Got the Miter saw table done today, its 2" thick, nearly 17 feet long and 2 1/2 feet wide. Going to work on the table saw outfeed table tomorrow, it will take full sheets or 16' lumber.

Busting my nutz on all of this to get to the point where I can begin making products to sell. I have dozens of things I have been making but not a proper place for doing it so its been a bit of a pain. Hoping to get it all comfortable enough to be able to turn these logs into high profit and start taking things up to the next level.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

20230208_154810.jpg
20230208_120319.jpg
20230206_095202.jpg
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh, and got a new puppy, She is 13 weeks old and 40lbs, lol. Great Pyrenees.

Amazing how well she has fit her way into our pack, just an incredible good nature to her. Good thing too since it looks like she will be well over 100lbs when grown.

We are hoping to build a new house on the back property soon, going Barndominium style, metal building with a house in it.

I just figure keep on planting trees, growing gardens and meat animals and pounding out work when I can and things will work themselves out and in the worst case we will eat good :-)
Muller
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Sawing logs can be addicting. More fun than building stuff even.

I cut my sawmill teeth on a Frick back when I owned a small wood shipyard in Virginia. I bought five truckloads of 25 foot white oak logs to build a large sailing boat. I knew a retired sawyer who had an old Frick set up back of his house. The old sawyer, two of my men, and I sawed up those logs into two inch and three inch flitch. The old man had a fork lift to move the logs onto the loading ramp, but it was all was all arm strong from there. Three guys with cant hooks turning those monster logs on the sawmill. And then moving the flitch. Moving a three inch think, two foot wide slab of white oak, twenty-five feet long is no laughing matter. That was over forty years ago. Seems like yesterday.

Richard
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

20230211_135701.jpg
20230211_124446.jpg
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It amazes me Richard every day. I needed a couple 2x8s and 2x10s so I loaded a few of the first cuts that had been set aside, they have the bark on both sides and are maybe great for an artsy project but not so much for building. I not time at all I had the boards I needed out of them. This is almost scrap type boards yet lumber was pulled out of them.

Shipbuilding is far beyond my skillset. I am having a blast though.

Got the outside walls up to 8 1/2 feet. Just need to finish the little toolroom in the corner and I will be on to making things to sell. Hoping to turn all of this into a decent income generator to fund further wishes and dreams :-)
Muller