Firewood

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Harry
Site Admin

Firewood

Post by Harry »

Not a business I would recommend to an enemy let alone a friend but here I am in the middle of it. Its been nice lately as my youngest Daughter has been coming out to help me split. I bucked up about 4 or 5 cords worth or rounds this morning and going to go back up to the woodlot and do that again this afternoon so we can fill all of the 1/2 cord boxes.

I dont have much interest in selling firewood but it allows me to cherry pick logs for milling and an outlet for the stuff that isnt good for that. Also eventually I am going to do some log carving and will have nice logs for that.

I will also say its some good exercise, will put you back into shape real quick if you have been sitting around for too long.
Loading.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Re: Firewood

Post by Jammer »

I used to cut a lot of firewood. I never sold any just cut enough to heat our house for the winter. I got to the point that I just cut some trees down and let them lay for about a year and then drag them up to the house and cut them up there when I had time. It sure beat taking the wagon and all the saws back to the woods and cutting and loading all day, then bring it all up and have to unload it. Had to split it all by hand too, that will build you up or kill you. I did cut some beautiful wild cherry and some Walnut tree tops. The trees had been logged out years ago.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I've never had to chopped wood to warm the house, but then again I've never seen that white stuff call snow :lol: :lol:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've seen more than I care too. It seemed to be a lot colder when I was a kid. Winters have been pretty mild the last few years.
Attachments
IMG_0010 (4).JPG
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

We dont get much snow here but we do have 4 or 5 months a year that can have freezing temperatures..

I am going to put a wood stove in this place and we are working on building a house on our property next door and that will have a nice fireplace in it.

Have never wanted to mess with firewood, still dont but I want wood for the mill and that means sorting through the chaff so an outlet for that as firewood helps to reduce the overall cost.

I bought 5 Semi loads in February, logs 30 to 40 feet long and 12 to 48" diameter. At the bottom of that pile now and have two loads coming this weekend and arrangements to get some millable logs both Fir and Cedar over the next month or two.

If it works out I will be building some Cedar Smoke Houses, Sheds from both woods and more benches and other wood projects. This is a bench I sell for $350, the legs of this bench are cut from a 6" thick slab.

Curved Bench.jpg

Its all good though, keeps me pumped and runnin tossin logs around and my youngest Daughter has been helping me split this year and next week we are going to start milling and working on other wood projects together. These Outhouse garden tool sheds have been selling for $400, of course I take a 25% hit because I consign them out to places but its worth it to not have to deal with people :-)

20220507_180942.jpg
20220507_181022.jpg

And the biggest part has been having all this wood to work on stuff for the property, this is the livestock pen I built for the steer we raised this year.

20220318_181340.jpg

The steer was 1550lbs the day before slaughter. The pen has a scale built in and he was weighed every day so I could learn what was going on with the feeding.

20220329_113700.jpg

He was like a big puppy, a very big dangerous puppy. We also got our first harvest from the bees this year, over 50lbs of honey from the one hive we took from. I am going to check the supers and see if we cant take them off. That will likely mean another 50lbs or more. So much honey... its crazy. I am gonna be making loads of Mead for the rest of my life.

20220629_000545.jpg

Also built a well puller this year and fixed my neighbors well. Always wanted one and his situation helped push me to put it together. His well was 320' and this rig had no problems at all with it.

20220610_120334.jpg

And to wrap this up, Fuggle... thats Bob in the background. Our Goats are Willow, Lily, Rosemary, Fuggle and Bob. All plants other than Bob. Fuggle is a hop for Brown Ales and yes I have some growing here:-)

20220731_170415.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Jerry, yes... winters have been much milder the last decade or so here also.
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I miss my goats and I really miss my bees. I raised a pig once, probably the most expensive pork I've ever eaten.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The Beef came in around $6 lb which wasnt bad. I bought half a pig early this year from a neighbor for $450, she guaranteed me 100+ lbs freezer meat and it ended up around 115 lbs so the price wasnt bad.

The goats are like a $1500 a year pet. The are Nigerian Dwarfs so the tallest is 21" at the shoulder. With my knees I dont want any big animals pushing me around. The chickens cost us nearly $1000 a year and havent been laying well at all this year and they are fresh so I am confounded. With 30 hens I expect a peak considerably higher than a dozen a day and also at least enough for breakfast through the winter.

With both of those their value is in the fertilizer. The goats spread around the stemmy part of their hay and poop and pee on it, I get about 2 cu yds a year of chicken poop and now with the wood I am getting lots of chips and bark. All of this is needed to transform this desert into an oasis.

The bees are amazing, both the pollination and the honey. I made Mead in 2019 but not with our own honey so thats going to be interesting to have mead made from our own bees honey.
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

With the chickens, I used to put mine into a forced molt. Shut them up in the henhouse with no food or water for a short time.

Easier to read about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_molting#Methods Some of these seem a little harsh but I would be careful about the water if it's hot weather, and make sure they don't start eating each other. Chickens are gross. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_eyeglasses

My 24 hens started laying about 22 eggs a day. I had to about give them away at work.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I am done with firewood for this season. I do the firewood so I can get the good logs for my mill, so much just isnt worth milling but you can burn it. Most all of the logs I have left now are millable and I have close to 30 cords so this year I am really gonna get some things done on the projects. About 10 cords is cedar so I am stocked about having that.

I tell people all the time firewood $250 cord, lumber $1000 a cord, build stuff and its like $4k to $10k a cord.

Working my ass off putting my woodlot together, building a tool room and setting up for my little table saw and cutoff saw as those are the two pieces that turn lumber in things to sell.

Jonsing real bad these days for a swingblade mill, figure I have to squirrel away $25K to $35K to make it happen. Hopefully will be able to turn that out of these logs I currently have.

Gardening is just around the corner and that always competes for time and is great to do when summer gets hot and you dont want to be pushing a mill :-)
Muller