BYMC

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
GypsyTinker

Re: BYMC

Post by GypsyTinker »

It's way better than my foundry site and forum...
Only the highest standards of precision!
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

GypsyTinker wrote:It's way better than my foundry site and forum...
I lol'd :D

Just to echo my thoughts posted in the now-at-least-partially-defunct-bymc-forum...Im not a fan of the change, or the way it was handled. I do understand why the change was needed. I really like what harry has going on here, so Im gonna hang around for a while. He has taken bacyard casting leaps and bounds further than I thought possible, and has inspired me to maybe do the same (a little soul-searching going on over here right now).

If BYMC comes back up, I plan to split my time between here and there, probably an emphasis on here. Im going to give the next gen of BYMC a chance though, who knows, maybe it will be worth the wait. Like I said though, if its not worth all the hassle, weve got some sweet new digs here at FDF(Found Dreaming Forums), so no worries. It would be nice in one way or another though to have access to all that knowledge that we accumulated over there.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
Donk

Post by Donk »

Im with Harry on this one to an extent.
I think a bit of courtesy dosnt take long or cost anything.
The great thing he provided was getting us all together although since I have been a member I havent seen one post from him.
If the old forum was basic it didnt stop the creativity of the users.
Donk
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I agree 100% with this Donk
Donk wrote:If the old forum was basic it didnt stop the creativity of the users.
The thing that bothered me the most on the BYMC was feeling so invested yet no say as to what the future night hold. As I said over there 10% of the posts there since 2008 were mine, that kind of activity made me feel like I had a part in it but it turns out I didnt even rate a little dialog.

Just as you have said, it is the members that made that forum the resource it is.

4cf, thanks for the props. You know there wasnt even a castings forum there until someone *whistle* suggested it? I think I will just stick here for my posting of new things I come up with and my projects I am working on. If the new forum comes up cool I will probably still visit but I wont be really contributing the way I did in the past since I will be posting anything that fires me up right here.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

I think this is a great place... mostly because the best people from bymc are here.

As we all have said, it's the people that make the content which is the value...

I also agree that "common courtesy" is nice.

BUT!

Anyone who is complaining about how he handled this is attempting to impose some sort of morality. I automatically suspect anyone who does this... they usually want something...

In harry's case, he wants control or say over what happens to all of his great contributions.

In other cases it's ganging up to be on the side that is the loudest, as Lionel's side is utterly silent.

But there is no way to impose morality.

What if a surprise was the most valuable thing you could give some one? He would be our hero... :-P

Fact is, we all went there because of who he is. He owes us nothing, not even "common courtesy".

Anyone here who has created something and then had it take off beyond their wildest dreams and expectations and then handled it perfectly, please pipe in and say what the secret to that is...

Just in case ONE of us is lucky enough to experience it, we won't offend anyone down the road...

Thanks in advance.
Only the highest standards of precision!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

For the most part I can see what you are saying but and this is just from my own perspective I think this is both right and wrong.
GypsyTinker wrote:Fact is, we all went there because of who he is. He owes us nothing, not even "common courtesy".
Right because you are correct in that none of us are "owed" a thing by anyone else who is simply sharing nor do we owe them. Thats what sharing is all about. Now even though you are not owed or owe something you will often be given or give something out of courtesy. Ever been in the line at the grocery before with a basket full as your turn came up and someone walk up with one or two items? What do you do?

Wrong because (and again this is for myself) the only thing I ever got from BYMC came from the forum, this was because of the people there. As has been mentioned there was little to no participation in building this by the founder. That group not only built the forum but set the tone which is as much a part of the community as the information in the posts. From what I understand about the early days of the forum there was some pretty good heat in the words from time to time but by the time I joined it was just about like it was last week. I would also say that my guess would be that those who did guide and shape the forum, the guys who came in with loads of experience and helped so many of us along sure didnt learn from the website, its a great site for someone to get a taste of melting metal but if you want to learn you have to read the posts in the forum and that leads us back to the people.

Now if Lionel inspired you in some way and spurred your interest in casting then great. If he taught you the skills to do this well then even better but you surely understand that not all of us came along the same way.

This all sounds like we are very much of the same opinion with small differences and this is what the world is all about. If we all had the same opinion all cars would be black because of Henry. I will just agree to not agree and move on...
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Bill Toomey

Post by Bill Toomey »

He provided the very forum that attracted us all there to begin with. True, the posters added more content than is on the main pages, but he started it and I think everyone is being a bit too hard on Lio.

Bill
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

The new BYMC forums are up at http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php, the usernames and passwords have been preserved.
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

Rocco wrote:The new BYMC forums are up at http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php, the usernames and passwords have been preserved.
funny, I had to reset my password to log in...