BYMC

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Wayne

BYMC

Post by Wayne »

Looks like Lio is making some changes. Can't connect to the database, earlier I was getting a server error.

Oh well... :|

Wayne
Heimo

Re: BYMC

Post by Heimo »

I had that error before... there were no changes made back then... so I don't know if there will be made now..
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

He may be having server or link problems. Happens. Part of the internet..
Wayne
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

FWIW, the main BYMC site is still up just the forums are dow.n
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Guess we don't have to wonder when it's going to happen anymore.....Just what's next ??
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

From the BYMC website:
Info. and Updates: -- June/6/2011 --

You may notice the message forum down occasionally during this week. It is being transfered to it's own dedicated website. With this done, more options will be available to users such as avatars, your own blogs and profile pages. It will be much more fun than just a plain forum.

Since the old message posts are to be transfered, shutting the forums down during the process is neccesary to reduce errors. For this reason it is probably best for now to keep new posts to a minimum since it is possible they will not be transfered to the new forum. More details soon.
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

Sweet! We were just talking about features like that :-D
Only the highest standards of precision!
Rocco

Post by Rocco »

That sounds promising!

Nevertheless, I find it so curious and more than a little off putting the way Lio's kept everyone including Anon out of the loop, a single posting by Lio on the forums or, an email to Anon, explaining what's going to happen and when, is all the was required.
GypsyTinker

Post by GypsyTinker »

People are quirky, especially creative people who get shit done.

Sometimes you try to keep people posted on something and you don't meet the goals you set and you let them down anyway.

Sometimes, the people that complain are the people that complain, so it isn't worth the added effort when what you are simply trying to do is provide the end result.

He has provided a great thing and is continuing to do so... I got no complaints, especially if he is upgrading it!
Only the highest standards of precision!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

It wasnt deadlines or even promises as to what the new forum would have as enhancements that was needed. It was a simple courtesy to active members as to future intentions.

I dont see what great thing he provided, there was a basic install of phpbb that was virtually unchanged for something like six years. Not even backups of the database were being made until Anon managed to get one done.

The great thing of that site was what the members of the forum built, while there are some interesting things in the sites pages most of it had been outdated by the time I showed up 3 years ago. The refractory recipe was the one that got me with my first furnace failing within weeks of making it.

I would guess that since there is always 10 to 20 guests on the forum most of the traffic to the site comes in because of the forum, see above as to who built the forum.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller