Visit to a nearby engine guy.

For posts that dont fit anywhere else.
Jammer

Visit to a nearby engine guy.

Post by Jammer »

I went down the road about 18 miles to a fellows house that had some hit and miss engines and some steam engines. I didn't know what I was getting into. This man and his son had 3 barns full of engines and equipment plus parts and projects. Mostly gas and diesel engines, a Rumley Oil Pull Tractor, that I got to drive 8-) :D and some steam engines and old printing equipment. I think I was there for 5 hours. The father has a machine shop where he makes parts that are missing or damaged on the engines. The sone has a pattern shop that I know Chirpy would like. He makes his own patterns for some engines he designed and has them cast at foundries around Ohio and Pennsylvania. They said it's very hard to get any castings done since covid. What they do get cast is now costing about 5 times what they used to pay. It was a pretty good day.
Attachments
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Re: Visit to a nearby engine guy.

Post by cae2100 »

Very nice stuff, could have alot of fun at that place, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

They had so much stuff, I needed 2 or 3 days to see and play with everything. About 90% of the engines would run and I think he wanted to start them all. The patterns in the picture are for an engine that was under the patterns on the floor. I think he said it was from Bucyrus and the guy only made one of the engines. So now he has the engine and the patterns for it. They have motorcycle engines, toy airplane engines, real airplane engines, railroad track car, a small steam engine train (for sale), one cylinder, 2, 4, ... all kinds of stuff. So crowded it was hard to get good pictures. Trying get the Rumley video on. Just a short one, I could drive and film at the same time.
Oh, I forgot, Boat Engines.

This is a compressor to pressurize a beer keg at the local saloon. The old wooden kegs. Upside down to keep oil out of the beer. 8-)
Attachments
IMG_0007.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

Thank God such people still exist. Good work, Jerry.

Richard