Jammer's Foundry, Forge and CNC Work

Jammer

Re: Jammer's Foundry, Forge and CNC Work

Post by Jammer »

You used those aircraft bolts? I did give you some of them didn't I? I probably just need to slow down and let it heat up. It melts and I want to pour it. That comes from melt 70-30 Zinc brass, if you heat it too much the Zinc burns out and makes a white cloud.
Attachments
bolts.JPG
bolts.JPG (85.8 KiB) Viewed 3542 times
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

yea, I used the aircraft bolts. I was using a propane burner to melt them with, so after I saw the last piece melt down into the puddle, I gave it around 4-5 mins on the timer to superheat and then skimmed in the furnace and poured. I usually have my old phone there so that I can time everything, which with my oil burner, I can usually go spot on for a melt and time it down to the second. From doing iron, the heat off of that stuff is nothing, lol.
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I always pour Everdur at 4% Si and 1% Mn. I am careful to keep the thickness of the casting to 3/16 or more. And! I use plenty of sprues to feed those thin sections. Everdur just does not flow the way leaded bronze flows. I use leaded bronze for long thing shapes such as the braids you see below. All else in this piece is Everdur, but Everdur would not flow all the way into those braids..

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I knew you had trouble with the braids, I guess I missed that you changed alloys for them. I just want the lettering to be sharp enough to sand the top and make them shiny bronze and put a patina in the background.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Chirpy is correct. Heat the bronze till melted and then let it heat about 8 more minutes, add some Phosphor Bronze and pour. It poured like water and shot out the sides of the flask even though I had it clamped down pretty good. The flask was too small so I got a depression where the sprue was. I'm going to clean it up and buff out the rough spots, if they look OK, I'll just go with it. Or I may pour it again. This is the best result I've gotten on a first pour, usually takes me 3 tries to get one half as good. Felt good to fire stuff up again, it's been a while.
Attachments
IMG_0003.JPG
IMG_0005 (1).JPG
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Congrats on the pour man, it looks pretty good, just a bit of cleanup with a rotary burr and hit it with either shot basting or a needle scaler and it'll be good to go. If youre going to paint it and sand the tops off, then it'll all blend right in tbh.

I think it may have been the phos-copper added because it just shoots out the seams, and I know I had mine clamped pretty well and there was a fairly decent gap between the gating and flask walls, so I think it was the phos-copper mixed with the high head pressure from the weight of the bronze flowing in tbh. The odd thing is, it pretty much filled up the sprue and at that moment, thats when it blew out the seams and drained it all.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It probably was the Phos-Copper. I have some brazing rod and only meant to melt off about 3 inches but about 6 inches dropped off before I could get it out of the furnace.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

An Anvil casting project. I'm going to try to make a match plate. Probably do one in Pewter, then Bronze, and Iron.
Attachments
IMG_0001 (3).JPG