collection of my projects

dallen

Re: collection of my projects

Post by dallen »

I just hope that I am building it heavy enough in the legs and drive supports and such, I don't want it the first time I turn it on with sand in it to collapse everything. Anyway I need to get the first intermediate shaft into place and figure out a belt length so I can go get one, I'm not planing on any belt tensioners or spring loaded chain idlers to take up slack so I have to get them in the correct place, and I already have one goof to fix. I have one A section sheave and one B section I'm hoping that they will work for a little while at least till I can cast a C/I Puck and turn me a new B section sheave for the motor.

I plan on working on the pattern that I made that side from, the one problem area in it is the end that has the right angle on it, there is some hangup in it when trying to pull it from the sand, so it tears the sand. its also made from to soft of a wood, and the flat side or what would be the inside needs to have a depression in it to help hold the sand in. But the nice thing is that it can be remelted and the pattern can be remade, just wish I was more of a carpenter that I am. Woods not my fortay.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

I have been working on the flask side that I have been trying to pour, the last two times that I have poured it I have ended up with a usable part. by that I mean one the is whole with no holes or incomplete pour from it going cold short on me in the mold, or from me not putting in enough venting.
heres a shot of the one that I did this morning 6-26-11, it came out looking pretty good.

There are a couple places on the end that has the right angle on it that are still not releasing from the sand when I rap the part, ones on the outside and the others on the inside, a little bondo will fix these troubled area's.

I went ahead and added the link to the album on Photobucket so that people could see the part on bothsides. There are several shots of the underside of the pouring basin that I took trying to show two shrink cracks that are in it, they don't hurt the casting in any way, they are probably from where I was taping on the top before it had completely solidified. Anyway I hope you enjoy the pictures.
http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd4 ... 26%202011/

Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I have one A section sheave and one B section I'm hoping that they will work for a little while
A section and B section belts have the same angle, B belts are just wider so as long as the belt has a gap and is not tuching the seat of the pully it will be fine. :)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

thanks for the reply back Nudge,
I got the thing running but am going to have to pull the head off its rubbing on the drive housing a might, Actually thinking about cutting a space off of some cromolly tube about a 1/16 thick and dropping it in there.

I'm at the point now that I may just try making a spoked pattern and pour me a larger sheave so I can slow the thing down about another 50 rpm, but I really need to get the tack out (old style place on end of shaft analog multiply by 10 to get correct readying) check it to see if I am actually running around 100 rpm. which if it is and it will pull thru a decent amount of sand, would be great for greensand.

I have to do some studying in Chastians muller book on how he did his blades and wheel,

David

dallen

Post by dallen »

here's picture of the flask pattern that I have been casting for the last few days. I set down last night and got to looking at how was i going to clamp these down on the mill table to clean them up so that I could get to at least two sides.
Well I sorta figured it out so that I could get to all four sides with only one move, now all I have to do is drill and tap the holes that are needed to bolt them together. Image This is what its starting to look like. I still have to come up with something for alignment pins but that should be pretty easy, get some 1.5X1.5X.250 aluminum angle and bolt em on to the sides, may even be able to use a hunk of channel.

Anyway comments anyone.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The odd corners kind of throws me but they look like they will make good flasks.

I will drop in a channel casting to the package I will be sending you. I put some draft on it to make it mold easy. It is 1 x 2" channel I think about 4" long. I think it will make good handles.

Speaking of the package, it will be delayed a few days. I broke the damn pattern from BobS ramming it up. I have a couple of castings and need to clean the best one up to use as a new pattern. Will send it off once I get something decent fixed up.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Anyway comments anyone.
It looks a hole lot better than my burnt up wooden ones :roll: the problem i have with making alli ones, is the amount that I would need to make. I do have a few sizes that I use all the time I guess I just need to get off my butt and make a pattern.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

belive me that picture of the four parts leaned up agianst one anotheer looks a whole lot better than my wooden ones, I started drilling holes today.

I have some two inch thick foam I want to try and make a one piece pattern for say a 4 x 6 X 2 deep one if I get a good casting I can slick it up and use it for a master to make a couple,

I'm not really going to need a lot of little flask thou, but its pratice for making the patterns and parts for what I want to build ewventually.

dallen

Post by dallen »

heres a picture that I tried to post yesterday but due to thunderstorms that blew in abut the same time I had to shut the computer down.

This is four of the side panels of the flask pattern that I have been pouring I have them milled off to clean them up and to square all the edges that go together an drilled and tapped them for two 1/4" bolts in each corner.

I still have to put on combined alignment pins and handles, just haven't figured out how I want to do it

I want to make another pattern that will be longer but that will be compatable with these parts so that I can have a rectanglor flask if needed. or where I can take these parts and bolt them into some thing that is say half this size make it more useful with half the parts.

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Looks good David but I just noticed it doesnt appear to have anything on the inside for the sand to grab ahold of to keep it from sliding out. Are you planning on adding something or do you feel the surface tension of the sand against the sides will be enough?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller