Jammer

Re: Jammer's Foundry, Forge and CNC Work

Post by Jammer »

:lol: :lol: Dogs do that sometimes.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've been working some in the basement. Not really conducive to much foundry work. I'm working in miniature, small flasks about 3" X 4" and casting small pewter items. I just melt the pewter in a soup ladle with a torch and pour. I'm using petrobond that I got from Chucktn a couple years ago. He was having trouble with it not having any green strength. I heated the petrobond with the torch until it was hot to the touch and was kind of sweating. I mulled it by hand and heated it again and the strength really increased. After a couple of pours with the pewter the green strength really got much better. Anyone have similar problems with Petrobond?

I'll get some pictures around and get them posted. I'm using 3D printed patterns mounted on a piece of PC board. They are little Matchplates.

More to come.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I got some pictures around. Just some mini flasks and mini matchplates. Poured a little trinket.
Attachments
IMG_0029.JPG
IMG_0030.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0039.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0046.JPG
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Nice
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I want to cast some stuff with coin silver but that's too hot for the basement. The Ohio took me about 2 hours from setting up the code for the 3D printer, Printing, mounting and casting. These 3D printers are going to spoil us on making patterns. Need to sit down and learn some CAD.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Those look pretty good jammer, it looks like the detail is coming out pretty clear on them. Im just curious what they actually are tho, lol. 3d printers defenitely make things easy with pattern making, but they probably thought the same when a scroll saw was invented too, lol. The offer to sit down and teach you freecad is still open if you wanted to mess with that one of these days, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It's OHIO from a 1921 license plate. My son really likes them. We went to an auction today that had a 1921 plate but it went for $75. The first pictures has a belt buckle I'm working on for my grandson, it's something from a video game, Legend of Zelda or something.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thats bloody cool Jerry
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

Jammer wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:14 pm
It's OHIO from a 1921 license plate. My son really likes them. We went to an auction today that had a 1921 plate but it went for $75. The first pictures has a belt buckle I'm working on for my grandson, it's something from a video game, Legend of Zelda or something.
Oh, ok, that's pretty neat.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I fired up the forge the other day but had trouble getting much heat from it. Also, I think the metal I was using might have been some harder metal. It was key stock, I thought it would be soft for shearing. Then it was too hot outside so I came back into the air conditioning. :) I would think we could get all kinds of stuff done during the big shutdown, but doesn't seem like I can do much.