Post by Jammer »

005 (2).JPG
003 (2).JPG
Finally found the pictures.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
cae2100

Re: Jammer's Foundry, Forge and CNC Work

Post by cae2100 »

pretty nice hammer, looks like it has some heft to it too, lol. It looks like around the same size as my lead hammer that I use all the time, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Just a little under 3 pounds. 1.36 Kg :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nice looking hammer Jerry :) :) :) :) :) :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

so what kind of stuff were you forging jerry? I got into it a little bit for making lathe and shaper bits, but thats about it.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I just went through a basics class and then made a few things before we came back to Ohio. I don't have much equipment so I just used the stuff at the forge. At home, I heat metal up in my furnace anhttp://founddreaming.com/metal_casting/forum/phpBB3/download/file.php?mode=view&id=1653d beat on it.
Attachments
015 (2).JPG
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

oh, pretty neat stuff, if you come around here, you can use my forge, but just dont laugh too hard at it, lol. Everything I have for mine, Ive made, but thats not that much. I was thinking of welding up a flattener or making one one of these days to smooth out the finish of the tool bits I make, but all that is for is just cosmetic, and as Im only one seeing them, cosmetics arent really that big on the priority, lol.

I probably should make up a coal shovel one of these days, but more than likely, it'd take off to the shop and be used as a chip shovel for cleaning up the lathe/shaper, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Went to cae2100 a couple weeks ago. had a good time and played with his forge some. CAE, I worked on those tongs some more and they work great. I set up my little furnace on it's side to use and a gas forge.
Drug out my bigger furnace and will be working on it. I've got some small projects I'm thinking about and may do some casting. I've got a 3D printer on the way, we'll see what kind of quality it is, it was pretty cheap. I'll have to have cae2100 tutor me in CAD to try to make some patterns.
Can't spend too much time on projects, still have the house reno going on. After my son comes to visit, I'll tear into the kitchen. Tear as in rip it out and replace or tear as in crying about nothing going right and costing 3 times as much. :cry: :cry: :x :x

Pictures later. ;)
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

lol, yea, house work is never really fun, it eats too much into your tinkering time. :P

Im glad to hear that the tongs are working out pretty well now, I need to get another anvil made one of these days and finish the tongs for that one guy and make two pairs for myself for crucible tongs, and one pair for keeping at the sand molding bench since I always seem to forget the ones I need out in the yard by the furnace when I go to knock out a mold, lol. Ive been using the little crucibles that you had brought like crazy, made up a little plinth for my little paint can furnace and those things are a perfect fit in there, lol. All that's left is just to make some tongs for them, lol. I made a new burner for the little furnace and while I was working on it, I had the little furnace heating up and had it up to bright orange heat with the little crucible on the lid, then shut it all down and just sat the crucible over the exaust so it would drive off any moisture that having it on the lid for all of that time didnt dry out, then fired it up inside of the furnace once it went back to a dark heat. Now I have a little copper ingot that used to be copper pipe and motor windings that I had laying around, lol.

Hopefully you have enough rebar there to make more things, but if not, just let me know and I can send some more your way when you come out again, lol.

Also, hopefully your staying out of this heat and humidity, it went from cold and raining so bad that it was causing major flooding and landslides everywhere around here to an oven outside, so it's hard to work on anything outside once again... I guess that's what night times are for, lol.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I forgot to tell you I've had those crucibles for a few years and you would need to dry them. The sun came out and it's hot and getting hotter. I straightened out one of those rail clips. They're pretty tough. What alloy did you say they are, 5160?