replys to Jammer studio

mite5255

Re: replys to Jammer studio

Post by mite5255 »

Bloody hot and humid here ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Mike, I heard you were having record high temps for spring.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Spring, thats such a nice word

10 weeks to go for us til last projected frost.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

its summer here Jerry, and I'm over it, I'm back at work on the 8th and is back to a plastic extrusion factory where everything is water cool, so the factory is f&^king hotter and the humidity is higher inside the factory then it is outside :(
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I worked in injection molding for a few years, I thought it was hot until I went to the steel mill. But, you do have higher temps than we do. Seldom gets above 95F in the summer here.
bunyip

Post by bunyip »

As temperature has been mentioned here I will add; tomorrow is forecast to be be 43deg c/ 110deg f here & guess what, some of us from the local art group are going to visit a blacksmith.Don't want to miss the visit, so, hot or not I am going.Frank, if you read this post I would like to here about you'r scrimshaw exploits as am a bonecarver amongst other things.Until you wrote recently I didn't know you were a scrimshander. Trev.
On top down under
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

I dabble in a lot of artsy things, Trev. I have no photos of any skrimshaw work, however, somewhere among the boxes left to unpack I do have some actual fossil walrus ivory I etched and made a tie tack out of (a three mast ship anchored in a lagoon, approximately 3/8 inch oval) and was aim'n to inlay a larger piece (an oval about the size of a quarter) with a skrimshaw portrait of my step-father, into a broach pin or necklass for my mother but life got in the way and I never finished before she died. Other skrimshaw inlay work I've done was for firearms (for friends of mine while in the military) that I never thought to get photos of. Lord knows where those boys (men) are today. Main reason I never did a lot of it was 'cause there's not that much demand for it in Alaska due all the natives saturating the market with their work. I do better work than most what's sold up North but the tourist is only looking for something a Native does, not something nicer and of a "white man's" theme. Yeah, I've met natives that could do photo quality skrimshaw work, combination of scribed lines and pin point pixulations, but even they admit the tourist won't buy it 'cause it don't look "authentic" Native in style. So... they whore out crap to appease the masses' ignorance. LOL..... And frankly, there's just not that much ofa demand for skrimshaw work to make doin a lot of it worthwhile. So, I do my thang and when opportunity presents itself I'll offer to do some skrimshaw inlays on someone's knife handle, handgun, or long rifle stock. Likewise, I've hammered out silver and cut nice inlays to embed into weapon woodstock. Again... military days.. never thought to photo them. Guess it never hit me I might would like to review some of that work I did when I got older. Oh well...... When I find that tie tack I'll shoot a closeup of it and post it.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Jammer,
I saw your post in the Forge thread you have regarding the hammer pour but it's locked and no one can make any comment. I'm curious if you used a sand core in the cast to make the hole for the handle.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I saw that it was locked today. I tried to unlock it but wasn't finding it so I thought I would look at it later.

Yes, I used a sand core with Sodium Silicate. It was straight through so I had to file a small hour glass shape to lock the handle in. I actually used it yesterday to adjust the main shaft of an old Printing press I've been working on.