4cylndrfury's Little Corner of the World

4cylndrfury

4cylndrfury's Little Corner of the World

Post by 4cylndrfury »

will be populated once I figure out how all this fancy pants forum software works 8-)
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
4cylndrfury

Re: 4cylndrfury's Little Corner of the World

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Harry, not sure how to create a subforum for my "shop". is that something you have to do or did I miss an exit ramp somewhere?
-Leonardo Di Vinci

-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I need to create the individual member subforum 4cf. Still testing with FC to see how this is going to work out.

The idea though is that a member would first build a collection of posts in the regular forum that would be gathered in their studio to organize them with shadow topics left in place so the rest of the forum continues to be cohesive. The one thing I dont want to make this into is a place for members to post all of their stuff bypassing the forum, if that happens then if someone wants to look up information on furnaces they would have to look through every member studio rather than go to the furnaces forum where they would all be together.

I dont think I have quite been able to explain this well, at least the way I am thinking it would work and honestly at this point I am not positive it will work hence the testing. If you want to give it a go then send me links to posts of your projects and I will set up a forum for you and move (leaving a shadow of the topics where they belong) them to your forum.

If this doesnt work out I am also thinking maybe installing some blogging software to the site where each member could have their own metalcasting blog which is basically the idea of the locked subforum in each of the members studios. Again I want to emphasize that this should not be the primary location for these project posts, they need to be posted into the forum in appropriate locations in order for the forum to fill out as it should then mirrored into individual members collections.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

ahhh...i understand now. I will let you go on testing with FC for now, its hard to test when you have 2 sets of variables. I will keep posting around in the other sections of the forum, and when I get up there in post count - if the member shop feature is still available - I will look into getting a shop set up. I will keep checking back here every so often
-Leonardo Di Vinci

-Jim Morrison
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Honestly I would not mind adding one or two more, this would help in seeing if I am getting the message across and show up any potential pitfalls sooner rather than later. So get a half dozen or so projects posted and send me the links to them and I will set it up. Worst case if it gets scrapped is the posts go back into regular forums and this section goes away.

I really think this idea merits further exploration and I am going to look into other avenues of accomplishing it to see if it could be done better, also open to suggestion. Having individual member contributions gathered in one place just seems really cool, just not at the expense of these posts not being made in the forum.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller