Homemade Soap :)

Projects other than metal casting.
Jelly

Homemade Soap :)

Post by Jelly »

I don't have much for the process right now, but I have a few pics....

This is my homemade Peppermint olive oil based soap. There is oatmeal mixed in for abrasiveness, topped with Nutmeg and Cinnamon for aromatic reasons.
DSCF8223.JPG
DSCF8224.JPG
DSCF8225.JPG
It's got a week to go before I can use it, it's still a little harsh on the skin (Its Lye Soap lol) The small piece i took for sample, lathers well, and smells amazing. The nicest part, It doesnt leave your hands smelling like a fragrance store when your done.

Shadow
Jammer

Re: Homemade Soap :)

Post by Jammer »

Sounds like it would be pretty good to eat, except for the lye part.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

It even looks good enough to eat, and probably taste better then the soap my father made me eat when I was young and used profanity in the house :oops:
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I make my own soap as well :D
If you find it too harsh after it has sat for at least 8 weeks, super fat your next batch. what I am meaning by that is up the amount of fat to lye. there is a point where the fat can be too high and the soap wont set up hard :oops: (I am gussing you are using the cold process method)

I make a batch about once a year using a roasting pan as a form. All mine is done using waste fat from cooking. :roll: I think it costs about $5 for a years worth of soap. :shock:
It must cost a lot to rap soap in a bit of paper to put it in a shop :o ( it is $1 a block for the cheapest here)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Could you post your recipe nudge or is it a kiwi secrete ;)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

you remelt the soap to add all the oatmeal and stuff
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

Dallen, I dont remelt soap at the moment, but its something I may do in the future. This was the most basic recipe I could find on the net, that fit the things I had on hand.

My approximate recipe was
(avoid lye exposure like the plague it is very caustic, Proper PPE is recommended. )

4 cups waste veggie oil ~unknown variety.
4 cups 100% pure olive oil (non light, brand new)
1.5 cups Lye - 4 cups water solution
1tbsp Nutmeg
1tbsp Cinnamon
1oz peppermint oil
2-3 cups non-instant oatmeal

Put all oil in big pot. Add Water/lye solution to oil slowly while stiring. Stir for what feels like forever. Sitr some more. Take a break, stir a bunch more. When you think its done, Stir a bunch more. Oh, did i mention, STIR. (A stick blender would speed this up a BUNCH, but I had a regular hand mixer, not effective) When it gets to trace (thickens up to the point it leaves a trail before soaking back into the mixture) pour into your molds.
dallen

Post by dallen »

you remelt the soap add all kinda fancy stuff (oatmill and such) then you can call it french milled, whip it with a hand mixer you can call it ivory and it will float

I it seemed like was the unlucky soul that got to stir the pot whem mom would make soap, and yep you gotta watch out for the liquid thats left in the pot. stuff could be used to clean barnicales off the bottom of a battleship with lots of success.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I use This site when I make my soap, just add what ever fat you have and it will tell you how much lye is needed :D

I also use a stick blender it IS a BIG help :mrgreen:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Shadowfangs wrote: Put all oil in big pot. Add Water/lye solution to oil slowly while stiring. Stir for what feels like forever. Sitr some more. Take a break, stir a bunch more. When you think its done, Stir a bunch more. Oh, did i mention, STIR. (A stick blender would speed this up a BUNCH, but I had a regular hand mixer, not effective) When it gets to trace (thickens up to the point it leaves a trail before soaking back into the mixture) pour into your molds.
Use Dallens big muller. Just place some heating elements on it and let it Stir stir stir. :lol:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)