CastCNC is now v2.5

Projects other than metal casting.
Harry
Site Admin

CastCNC is now v2.5

Post by Harry »

I made a minor upgrade in the version numbering because there are some changes from the v2 design but not so much for a version change since the parts that are still there are the same as v2

Basically I got rid of a few parts and replaced them with heavy square tube, I beam and a plate. These modifications were some things builders were doing to their machines and they really add a lot of heft to the gantry for just a little extra cost. As a bonus it is easier to put together and adds about 8" to the work envelope in the X direction. Also I was able to lower the price on the kit because of the lower parts count. There are now 15 castings in the kit.

Just finished the welded base prints and did this rendering to show it off. The base is made up in four welded sections that are bolted together. Overall weight of the complete machine is just over 600 lbs with about 450 of that being in the base. This is of course as pictured here, adding the bed and shelving will add to that and stored material will further increase the overall weight.
v2.5-Complete-Machine.jpg
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Re: CastCNC is now v2.5

Post by Nudge »

Nice!
Now you need to make one that will fit on top of a desk :lol:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Only problem would be trying to compete on price in a small machine. I think most people building those are super tight budget types or they would buy a ready made one which are not very expensive.

I am getting parts together to build my own small machine with a 2' x 3' work envelope (3' x 4' overall) using the same parts just shorter rails.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Lot of Square tubing in that if I was to build one I would have to cough up and go buy me a wire welder first, second would be a case of blades for the chop saw. build the lower support frame, then find the money to build the top. but it would be nice in a 2 X # for making patterns, and if stout enough for milling aluminum which I would assume that it is.

Harry how big of an endmill cutter will this take or is it limited to 1/4 inch.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Light milling of aluminum David, this is primarily a wood working machine. I take 0.02" cuts at around 100 IPM. With a 2' gantry it would be a third as wide as the machine I now use meaning much stiffer so even better for working metal.

Bit size depends on the head you put on it. Most routers take up to 1/2" shank but you can get bits with a larger diameter cutter. I have 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" collets for my router. One thing I have wanted to do from the beginning is put on a spindle below the router and couple it to it.

You could make a spindle any size you want, use a collet chuck extension like this with a couple bearings on it and couple it to the router. Ideally have a switching gearbox between them with 1:1 and 1:10 ratios so you could have the high speed 6000 to 24000 RPM along with 600 to 2400. This would take all of the lateral and thrust loads off the routers bearings and put them on some honkin' bearings you use for the spindle leaving the spindle with the sole job of spinning the bit.

The spindle I linked is ER25 but really you could use any size you wanted to match your tooling. My own personal plan is to have an army of these machines some day when I build my big shop. I want to be able to spend a day walking down the line swapping out a part in fixture where by the time you reach the end of the line it is time to start back at the beginning. To me it is labor that has priced us (US) out of the market on just about everything. With automation we remove a huge part of labor from the equation and that leaves us on more of an equal ground with coutries that utilize cheap labor.
Muller