Solar Wax Melter

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

Solar Wax Melter

Post by Jammer »

I built a quickie Solar Wax Melter, cost about $2.00. It's just a lasagne pan from Wally world. I cut a slot in the bottom and put some cheese cloth over it and then placed a black rubber pad on top with a pan underneath to catch the wax. I had a huge wooden one with a glass top when I had Bees, this is to just melt some of the wax I have left. I was heating it in a pan over a hotplate. This caused the wax to be too hot and melted in the propolis, which makes the wax very darkand dirty. The melter melts slow enough that the Propolis doesn't melt and gets caught in the cheesecloth. BTW, propolis is a kind on brown to black glue that the bees use to seal up their hive, it's very sticky like chewing gum.
I just like nice yellow wax.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Re: Solar Wax Melter

Post by Nudge »

What a neet idea Jammer. Nice looking wax!
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

So does Propolis have any use outside the hive? Slick melter- do you do lost wax too?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I think there are people who buy propolis but I don't know what they use it for. I've done some lost wax, mainly in a casting class I took earlier this year. I'm trying to set up a vacuum caster to use with the lost wax. The vacuum helps a lot, especially with small parts.
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

You casting Al or ZnAl for the vacuum?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

The one I had set up was for brass, but during the burnout the metal pipe around the investment oxided to dust. I went ahead and poured but it didn't fill.
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Bummer- What were you using for an investment flask? The exhaust tubing?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

It was a coffee can just like some used at the casting class at the art school. I got it too hot a couple times during the burnout. I wonder if it would have helped to coat it with a kiln wash? Next time I try one it will be a thicker metal tube like the exhaust tubing. I've got a piece that about 3" diameter, I'd like to find some larger.
Silverforge

Post by Silverforge »

Well- if the exhaust works I would definitely enjoy hearing about the outcomes- My caster setup is s-l-o-w-l-y making its way to the garage as yardsale items pile up... I have 3 stainless flasks that came with it- but would love to know where I can find replacements "on the fly"

Be safe- KD