Got back to my CNC, Lots of Pics.

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

Got back to my CNC, Lots of Pics.

Post by Jammer »

Got back to work on my CNC after about 3 years. Too many projects too little time. I'll post a few older pictures and then get some new ones on here as I progress.
This was some old medical equipment, some sort of machine to take pictures of an x-ray. I mounted the top of it on some 8020 Aluminum tinker toy stuff. Got the Mach3 program and electronic board. Started wiring it all up and them stopped for a couple years. Working 12 hours 5 to 7 days a week takes up too much time and energy. And spending a few weeks in the hospital and a couple months flat on my back, kind of took the wind out of my sails. Now I'm not working and have all my arteries opened up so I guess I'm good to go. :)

Last week I got back to wiring the limit switches and made a new holder for the router. I think I'm actually getting close to movement.

I did the part Lost Foam and used the little electric furnace for the melt. Then I cleaned it up and put it on, looks like it will work pretty good. This gives me a lot more room above the table. I should be able to make about 3" deep cuts if I need too.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Re: Got back to my CNC, Lots of Pics.

Post by dallen »

nice job, great catch on the Med equipment. Pattern looks nice I been trying to straighten out my mini mill so that it will be worth using.

heres a short video of what I been fighting the part that I am working on in the video is the slide that the motor and spindle mount on that goes on the column,

David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Damn Jammer, that look like the real deal you have going on there!!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I like how it's turning out, especially since I don't have any idea what I'm doing. I keep thinking a few more wires and I'll be ready to try it out, but then I find something else. I did get the limit switches finished and wired up. Still need to hook up the e-stop and finish the motor wires to the board...and probably a couple hundred more things.

Dave, I have no idea what you should do with your project, I woder how it got so far off to start with.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:I like how it's turning out, especially since I don't have any idea what I'm doing. I keep thinking a few more wires and I'll be ready to try it out, but then I find something else. I did get the limit switches finished and wired up. Still need to hook up the e-stop and finish the motor wires to the board...and probably a couple hundred more things.

Dave, I have no idea what you should do with your project, I woder how it got so far off to start with.

try made in China with cheap under paid Chinese labor for the American market. None of these machines that are aimed at the hobby market are very precise. I also have a 7 inch and a 9 inch lathe that are in the same sorry shape. I am hoping that I can learn enough to help me get the other machines that I have into alignment so that they will cut like they are suppose to.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I've got it all wired up. There are a few problems with the set-up. Motors are groaning and I crash the limits so I've got to check the instructions. I'm close to cutting something.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

waiting patiently for the video LOL
geoff_p

Post by geoff_p »

Dave, in your video of 'the problem' it looks like the part's movement-axis is left-to-right (only in the picture, I'm not that daft) and the 2-thou error is at right-angles to that axis.

If we now rotate the lump to its working orientation, i.e. upright, then the vertical error (less than 1/2-a-thou in your video) will be how much your motor is out-of-parallel to the column.

And the 2-thou represents simply a slight twist in the plane that the cutter is spinning. It doesn't actually affect any alignment.

Or am I totally off my trolly here?

Geoff
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Don't hold your breath David, you know me well enough. I went down to check the motor tuning yesterday and had no input voltage to the board. :x I've got to check out the power supply. I had to buy a new meter also, the old one crapped out. :x :(
dallen

Post by dallen »

geoff_p wrote:Dave, in your video of 'the problem' it looks like the part's movement-axis is left-to-right (only in the picture, I'm not that daft) and the 2-thou error is at right-angles to that axis.

If we now rotate the lump to its working orientation, i.e. upright, then the vertical error (less than 1/2-a-thou in your video) will be how much your motor is out-of-parallel to the column.

And the 2-thou represents simply a slight twist in the plane that the cutter is spinning. It doesn't actually affect any alignment.

Or am I totally off my trolly here?

Geoff
sorry just now saw this post, heres a link to a video of the same part after I milled the surface off. The video will explain what was done to the part.