Got back to my CNC, Lots of Pics.

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

Re: Got back to my CNC, Lots of Pics.

Post by Jammer »

Mach 3 is great isn't it Nudge? I wish he could have gotten the lazycam to work better. It does fine converting some things and then you get one that just goes haywire. Check out F-engrave, it's a sign type program that I've been playing with. The fellow has several fonts loaded into it and you can load more from True Type. Some fonts don't work, I think because there's gaps in the lines so it doesn't know to go inside or out. It has a V-carve setting that makes some real nice signs. You can also load some picture graphics in and it will set up the g-code. I haven't figured out what format yet, just some work and some don't. I've got to get some pictures of stuff I've cut, just playing right now. I've been waiting on some cheap router bits to come in the mail. I went to Workwerks store and about had a heart attack at the price of bits!! :o I'll get 6 bits for $25 from flea-bay before I pay $35 for one bit. Then I can smash them and not cry. :cry:
Nudge, what size bit did you use for that race car you sent me? I've been going to try it but it takes 3 hours to cut and I've already got 3 inches of foam and saw dust everywhere. I've cut several different Harley Davidson emblems in foam, Seem to be the official first cut for CNC's, I'll do one in wood soon. :D
Dave, send me your address, I haven't got around to testing the supply yet. Things have been upside down here for the last week.

http://home.comcast.net/~sskroch/Fengrave/fengrave.html Edit: I forgot to mention, It's Free!!
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I found when I was using a laptop with turbo cnc it would get a mind of its own! I have yet to try a laptop now I am using March3. If I get time tomorrow I will give it a go.
If your mill wont respond it may be the laptop.

Jammer: I think I used a 1/8 end mill for the car. I must set it up again and see how long it will take with the new setup.
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I was told that laptops don't work well for CNC, I know Mach3 doesn't recommend it. I got a cheap tower for mine, now it's better than my big one I paid a lot for. This place in Kentucky sells refurbished towers. http://www.blairtg.com/store2/
dallen

Post by dallen »

I used the laptop just to hook things up with for the moment so that I didn't have to take and move and make room for the tower that I was using a couple days ago. The laptop is not the final answer for a computer that I will be using. Think I got like 6 towers, the one that I want to use I have to sort out the printer port and get it working or addressed correctly, its a small desktop whats normally used for like in department stores where everything ties back to a central mainframe and I guess that they didn't need the LPT1 port as there isn't one on the board and the add in that I stuck in has a really weird address.

Oh yea if I have too I can go snatch another computer out of Little Brothers garage he probably won't miss it.

But I was able to make the table move back and forth on the X Axis as thats all I have electronics for.

suppose to get the Acme nut today for the Z Axis so maybe I can get something done there in the way of getting the screw mounted.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I just had a look at the code for the car, The reason it was going to take so long to cut is because it is 10" long :shock: I scaled it down (using mach3) to be 4" long. Now I should be able to cut it in 15 min.
Im going out to see if I can find a cutter and some wood!
I will post pics If it works.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

The car is cut!
I cut it out of 1 1/2" Kauri (NZ native) using a 1/4" straight end mill! The car is 6" long x 3" wide and 1 1/4" high.
It took 1H 20m to cut, The code is in imperial and is about 10" long so I scailed it in mach3 by 0.2 to get it to the 6" long.
The codeing is very basic so you will need to add things like G20 and M03,M05. May also pay to add a G17!

As we all know pics or it didn't happen!

After cutting it off the stock!

I think the wheels are out of round because of the cutter size being a bit big! I think a 5/32 cutter would have been better, maybe even a 1/8.
dallen

Post by dallen »

nice.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Pretty cool nudge. :mrgreen:
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I wish I had the skills to operate a CNC and to understand how it all works :(

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Me too!!! :D :lol: :D :?