Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

Re: Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Post by Jammer »

No, I got 2 grades of stainless and I want to cut them into 1 1/2" squares and fuse them together for a stainless steel Mokume ring or something.
It did sound like I wanted to make the clamp out of SS, need to separate my thoughts.
I'll probably use some 2" shallow channel iron for the clamp, I saw a piece at the forge.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Rasper

Re: Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Post by Rasper »

I've cut a lot of stainless sheet metal. I have found several methods that work. Not very well, but they work. A band saw at a fairly high speed. Not wood cutting high but sort of high. Or probably better is a sabre saw (I think some people call them jig saws nowadays) on high speed, with a good stock of blades. Stainless eats up tooling and abrasives fast.

The reason you cut on high speed is that stainless work hardens almost instantly. Slow cutting speeds with a saw or a drill bit will harden the damn stuff to where the stainless is doing the cutting instead of the blade or the bit.

Don't ever use a good electric shear or nibbler. Unless you want to buy a new set of blades. Stainless is not friendly stuff.

Richard