Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Post by Jammer »

I've been playing with some more artsy fartsy stuff. Heating a stack of Quarters until they fuse together and then Beating the stack senseless. The Nickel Copper layers make a wood grain look Like Damascus Steel.
First I turned my little furnace on it's side to use it like a forge. Made a clamp devise with 2 pieces of steel and 4 bolts. I clamped $2 worth of quarters in it and heated it up. You wait until the stack gets shiney and starts to sweat. Take it out and give it a whack, tighten the bolts and put it back in the heat. When it seems solid take it out and unbolt it. Then you have a chunk of metal to beat and twist to make patterns. I don't have the pattern part down yet. It's hard to see the pattern.
Attachments
022.JPG
015.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Re: Mokume Gane or Metallic Wood

Post by dallen »

I already have enough devices for beating the shit out of my wallet besides melting it down :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

we need some new more modern smilies.

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Using coins is much cheaper than buying copper, brass and nickel sheets. I am going to try stainless steel, maybe it won't turn my finger green.
I have some plans for a combination casting and forging project. I hope I can at least get it started in the next few weeks. Forge a blade and cast a holder for it. Using Steel, stainless steel, brass, copper and maybe some cast Iron.

Here's another shot of the ring.
Attachments
010 (2).JPG
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

That's nice work on the ring. Wonder if it'll turn your finger green wear'n it 'cause of the copper exposed?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Yes, it turns green after a while. If I were going to wear it I would coat the inside with clear polish. I was thinking of using it for a knife handle spacer or part of the pommel. I picked up some stainless steel, hope to try it out this week.
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jammer when you did this did you put any type of flux in the stack when you heated the quarters up to weld together???

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Most people say not to use a flux, but I dipped the quarters in acid to clean them and then in some liquid solder flux. I stacked them up and clamped them.
dallen

Post by dallen »

may have to give it a try, have a buddy that used to make knifes that said he would help me hone my knife skills. plus I need a bowie knife to go with this rifle

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I got some half dollars from the bank I want to try. Maybe 4 or 6 dollars worth. I need a different clamp, the one I made isn't big enough. I can't seem to cut the stainless steel I got, I think it's 18 gauge, about .075 in. thick. My little band saw wouldn't cut it. Hand snips broke. :x
dallen

Post by dallen »

.075 thick isn't very thick if your thinking about it for a clamp. I have some that's about 3/16" I think I still have it, if I do I could cut you out a couple pieces