Beer

Projects other than metal casting.
mite5255

Re: Beer

Post by mite5255 »

razor blades must be very costly in the US :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: you do look happy tho ;) ;) ;) ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Have always had a small mole on the side of my chin and damned if I dont whack it off every time I shave no matter how careful I am so i figure its better for my longterm health to let it grow. I range between a close beard trimmer cut to 6" or so before I whack it down to the short hairs again.

Good song selection, you missed Beer for my horses though, lol.

Have caught this beer bug bad but then thats par for the course when I take an interest in something I tend to go all the way with it. It does amaze me though how easy it is to make top shelf drinkin material, better than most store brands even the micro stuff and way cheaper using those extract kits many vendors sell. Shipping and all most has been around $40 for 5 gallons and that works out to about 30 22oz bottles of beer. Around here the specialty brews in 22oz bottle run from $5 to $10 with usually the big beer 8 to 12% ABV tending towards the higher end. Even at $5 a bottle though that $40 kit with a couple hrs work turns into $150 and honestly my own beer is better. That bit might be the because its mine to some degree but I have tried to be objective and taste testing some of the clones side by side and had others doing the same and have yet to pick the store bought one over the homebrew.

I have my mind set on building a 2 story root cellar partially dug into a bank. Will be concrete walls for the underground portion and gravel floor about 6' wide x 8' deep and 7 or 8' ceiling accessible with a $100 big box store prehung steel door from the lower level. there is about a 5' gradient change from the yard to down where the greenhouses are so this lower level will stick about 3' out of the ground.

The top shed will be like 16 x 8 and probably offset a bit from center over the lower and divided into two rooms like 7x8 and 9x8 with the dividing wall splitting the top of the lower level so it will be like a 3x8 3' high shelf in each room.

A window A/C unit and coolbot will go on the lower room and temp controlled duct fans will draw that cool air up from the bottom as needed. I am thinking 45* F for the lower, 55* F for the smaller upper room and 65* F for the larger. This will give me stable temps for serving (45), aging (55) and fermenting (65).

Of course there will also be loads of space for produce from the garden and greenhouse and fruit trees so its not all about the beer but will sure be nice for it :-)

As I was writing this description I thought of how inadequate it was in being able to picture it so I whipped out a quick and dirty drawing to add. Funny it took the computer longer to render it than for me to draw it. That bottom plate dividing the raised center section will have a wall on it and of course a pitched roof on top and everything super insulated.

Root_Beer Shed.JPG
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

A mole in the way sure could be an issue, what does the little woman think ;) ... with all your projects you sure are a busy little bee ;) ;)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

She gets a kick out of how much I dive into things Mike, when something strikes with intense interest I just cant stop until its somewhat mastered.

The root cellar is something we have both always wanted to have, it may be a year or two before it comes up on the list but certainly will happen one day. I like this 2 level idea with different temp ranges obvious for beer but also would be great for storing other things, some vegetables/fruit wants to be cool and not cold, got to be careful about storing fruit with some vegetables as they will force ripening of them ect... A 65/70* F seed storage would be awesome for both conventional seed and things like garlic and shallots we are multiplying. They get harvested in the summer then need to dry and store until just before winter to put them back in. One garlic will make 10 next year ;-)
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Oh, you meant think about the beard? She dont care, have whacked it off int he past without so much as a passing glance. Nearly 30 years together and she has never been one to try and shape me into her vision of what I should be nor have I with her, we are just happy together so it works.
Muller