What are you guys using?

Projects other than metal casting.
latzanimal

What are you guys using?

Post by latzanimal »

Anyone using a CNC? What program are you using?

I am about to pick one up and am pretty sure I can't afford a Mastercam license....
cae2100

Re: What are you guys using?

Post by cae2100 »

no cnc, but I do use a 3d printer from time to time to make some patterns with. I usually use freecad, and have messed with pycam and the engraver software for inkscape, but thats about it when it comes to cnc stuff. Might give you a few ideas tho.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I use Mach 3 with my CNC. The best little free programs I've found are made by Scorchworks,F-engrave and several other helpful things.
http://www.scorchworks.com/
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

with the router that i built I used Mach3, with the 3d printer I used repetier to run the printer but used and Craftware to do the slicing with.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

I never cared much for repetier and craftware tbh, too much bloat for the interface and I think more than anything, it was designed for beginners so it was kinda limited for the most part. Usually I use kisslicer for slicing software and print using my raspberry pi through octoprint, that or use pronterface on here, which Ive never had any trouble with any of it.
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Jammer wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:46 am
I use Mach 3 with my CNC. The best little free programs I've found are made by Scorchworks,F-engrave and several other helpful things.
http://www.scorchworks.com/
Stumbled on the Scortchworks the other day. Haven't downloaded it yet...

The guy I am buying it from is a Mastercam salesman. He is also the person that helped me attempt the puzzle drum. He recommended I try Fusion 360.. free for hobbyist, but one may have to renew the hobbyist status every year...
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

alot of people like fusion 360, some like sketchup, and there's a few other of those programs out there, but I just stick with freecad. I mainly stick with that because I like the ability to expand it through it's macros and various scripts for it.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I use Mach 3 also and older version of solidworks for modeling. I Use Aspire for generating g-code, its been some time though as my cnc machine has been piled over in the shop. Need to have a yard sale so I can get to it again.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller