CAD Discussion

Projects other than metal casting.
Jammer

CAD Discussion

Post by Jammer »

I'm moving the CAD discussion here. Hopefully will benefit others.

cae 2100 wrote:
I can teach you freecad, it's not that hard and I have a few videos up but hidden to show how to do things in it, and how I have mine set up to use it, which makes it much much easier to use imo. I didnt really plan on releasing these to the public, so they're rough really, but you can get the idea of what Im doing.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... u-c3GgO7hj

I have a little more work to do in the shop for cleaning up, but it's ready for you whenever you want to come down, lol.

Jammer wrote:
Watched the videos, probably have to watch them a couple more times. When I set up the Mach 3 for the CNC I had 2 computers so I could watch the tutorial and then make the changes on the other. :roll:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Jammer

Re: CAD Discussion

Post by Jammer »

Well, I've got something wrong with the set-up. My tool bars aren't showing up and if they do they are grey and don't work. Still reading the into and start up. That has helped some.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

try changing it at the top from startup to part design, that should work. If that helps, you have to change it in the preferences, it just asks which one you want to have active when you start the program.
Screenshot at 2018-12-14 21-41-56.png
Screenshot at 2018-12-14 21-41-39.png
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I did that like your set-up. When I go to new document and open it in the XY plane get the grid but it goes to sketch with the sketch tools. If I go back to part design then I get no tools at all.
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

thats really odd, the only thing I can think of that is happening is that your clicking on the part design box up there and your actually clicking rather than holding the mouse button down and it going to none somehow. Try going to view, workbenches, and go part design there instead.

Also once you do the sketch and such, you shouldnt need to change it to part design, it should already be there and you shouldnt even need to mess with that anymore.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Hot do I take a picture of the screen like yours, then I could show you what I see?
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

I use screenshot program thats built into my computer's OS itself for the screenshot. for windows, I think if you press the prt sc button on the keyboard by delete key, then open up paint and paste, it should paste the screenshot of the desktop. Other than that, I have no idea anymore about windows stuff.
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I'll give it a try. Looks like it worked.
Attachments
scrnsht.jpg
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Here are some screen shots. The first is the opening, then create new document,
Attachments
fc scst.jpg
fc2.jpg
fc3.jpg
fc4.jpg
fc5.jpg
cae2100

Post by cae2100 »

oh, I had to look it up, evidently they changed the layout around. Here's some links to the windows versions for 0.15, which was before it got changed around. Sorry about that.

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... _setup.exe

Here's the manual for it, which might help explain some of the buttons and such everywhere.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... l.0.16.pdf

And where the files are at if you want to look through them.
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.16