Woodlot tool room

Projects other than metal casting.
Harry
Site Admin

Woodlot tool room

Post by Harry »

Putting the roof rafters in for the woodlot tool room. We are going to have weather tomorrow night and I have been humping it to try and get the room dried in before it hits. Of course I have had 3 people in the last two days hit me for firewood because its going to be cold and I do what I can to help folks but this has put me against the wall on finishing this project.

Worked late tonight and going to get out there early tomorrow and try to get 'r done.

20230220_174507.jpg

That beam is a 17' long 4" x 24" 300lb plus hunk of wood. Doing things like this on your own takes careful planning and even so can be a real butt pucker when the wind comes up at the wrong time. Thinking there is a real shot at getting metal on the roof tomorrow. Still have to mill some 1" to go under the metal but have about 1/3rd of it done and a good sized cant on the mill ready to start lifting lumber from.

20230220_174634.jpg

Those walls are all 1 1/2" thick lumber, the uprights 4" x 4" and its all sitting on 4" x 6" dunnage footing made as a sacrificial ground contact I can easily replace or eventually put in a concrete footing. The walls are on the windward side giving a break to this work area. We have crazy wind here, some of the highest average wind speeds in the nation.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Woodlot tool room

Post by Harry »

Haha... I had the camera set on 50mp... there is some serious zoom on those images.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Did you get it under roof? It's been windy here a few times this month.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I went out early this morning and got the lower 6' of the roof covered in 1 x 6" boards. By noon the wind started coming up just as I was covering what I had with tarps. Hopefully have the tarps fastened down well enough. Put all the tools to the covered side of the room and called it a day.

We are supposed to get a foot or two of snow from this one blowing in over the next few days. At least I feel fairly confident my tools in the woodlot are now secure and protected.

I am worn out and looking forward to this storm as thats about the only time I get to rest. Once we are back into better weather there are just a few things to finish up out there then on to making stuff from this milled lumber to sell. One item I am planning to do is a Cedar Smokehouse.
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

So far wind gusts are showing at 36.5mph but the forecast is for them to peak around 3 hrs from now. Weather advisory said up to 60mph.
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

We are under a 35 to 45 mph gusts for the next couple hours. Sure has been a windy spring, have to chase the trash can all over the yard... and the neighbors. :cry: :roll:
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)