Mini mill drill

Machines that make the foundry run.
mite5255

Mini mill drill

Post by mite5255 »

I'm thinking about getting one of these mini mill drills like the ones at Harbor Freight ones http://www.harborfreight.com/two-speed- ... 44991.html We have the same type here in Australia , has anyone used one of these and if so are they any good, I'll more then likely only ever be machining aluminium

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Mini mill drill

Post by Harry »

Hi Mike, sorry I dont have any experience at all with mills but I will toss some guesses out there.

I would guess that it would be fine for milling aluminum and brass as long as you are not looking for aerospace tolerances and you are not in a big hurry.. The other thing to look at is the 9" x 4" travel on the bed, you could likely do a lot of small projects like model engine stuff or little parts for around the house but that seems really small to me.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Yes mate I know it only has a small travel, I would love to be able to get a larger one but its the cost, that small one here is $825.00 but I don't think I would be machining anything that's real big here, if I do, we have a Bridgeport mill at work plus we have a fitter and turner on shift who would help me out

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

I have one, not the harbor Freght one, but similar.
First thing and you already know it, its small, you don't have a lot of table.
second get it with an R8 spindle, that way if needed in a pinch you can borrow tooling. also if you get a chance to upgrade your tooling will follow.
third some people fill the columns, because the back flexs inward when you try to tighten the nut.

I guess I should of put this first, JOIN the Yahoo Grizzly mill group, they can tell you all kinds of stuff that will keep you plenty busy fixin the mill instead of making parts on it.

there is also a bunch of guys from the UK and Australia, Canada on there too. might even find someone close to you.

OH this is one thing that you diffinately want to do thats put a belt drive on the thing, make the parts at work if you have to, you really only need to make it for the high speed and you can use timing pulleys if you want, but the belt drive is one thing for sure that you want to do. theres a couple others also like adding an air spring, don't go ordering a kit, the thing is to simple to make, heck you make it right you don't even have to anchor the springs in the column tension will keep em in place. the springs will take up all the slack in the rack in the upward direction and keep it there so that when you do to lower the head it won't drop.

But all in all it will make parts for you if you do a little work on it, just remember it was made in china by underpaid cheap labor, the one i have the x an y axis need to be remilled to fix a really sloppy fit, but I also have a larger mill that I use mostly.

so if your boss will let you do a little after hours work on it, you can make it into a pretty good little mill for what its capable of. I changed the leadscrews in my table, that one mod was worth a twice what the parts cost. plus I got in some quality time making threading the 15/16 X 16 TPI inside thread on my lathe. but I think I screwed up cause the first one actually fit the Acme nut.

Theres a couple guys using these mini mills to make falling block actions for rifles so yes I guess you can do precision work with them.

Link to that group I mentioned http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GrizHFMinimill/

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I also need a band saw,so I'll more than likely get one first, then I'll put some more pennies away and check out a used machinery shop and see what they have. A lath would be good also but space will be problem, plus with my work area having only a roof and no walls other then lattice work down one side so neighbours cannot look in, its open to the elements, any machinery will need covers

Mike
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I say close in the sides first then get the tools, the last thing you need is to get new tools and have them go rusty :evil:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

yea mate I know but that is easer said then done, what would be good would be my daughter and her husband let me build a shed on their 68 acre property, every time I suggest a shed such as the one in the photo they both laugh at me :roll: The photo is of the local historical village blacksmiths shop where I sometimes go for a bit of relaxing hammer work

Wayne

Post by Wayne »

yea mate I know but that is easer said then done, what would be good would be my daughter and her husband let me build a shed on their 68 acre property, every time I suggest a shed such as the one in the photo they both laugh at me

Sounds like a case of elder abuse. :shock: Have you contacted the authorities?? ;)

Wayne
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Maybe you just need to start leveling a spot to let them know your are serious :mrgreen:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Yea, just do it :)
After all they will be getting a building once you have finished with it. It may be in 30 or 40 years or so but you don't need to tell them that :lol:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!