Band saws

Machines that make the foundry run.
mite5255

Band saws

Post by mite5255 »

Hi all, I want to buy a band saw and I cannot decide what type I should get, I can not decide between these two https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Produ ... 4202#specs or one Simla to this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/RYOBI-BAND-S ... 3cb95cff48 I need some advice :)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
davidbraley

Re: Band saws

Post by davidbraley »

So based on the two models you show, you are only cutting wood? The first model looks to be a lot more heavy duty than the second (ryobi). Do you have to buy a new one? You will always get a lot more machine if you buy it used.
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!
dallen

Post by dallen »

Hi Mike

if it was me I would get the one that would be the easiest to get spare parts for

David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Hey Mike,
I don't know if you'd be interested but thought I'd share this guys site. He's built quite a bandsaw ,among other machines.Really looks interesting to me.
You might check it out woodgears.ca/bandsaw/build html
Don
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That looks cool. I may even just settle for a good guilty jig saw yet , then I can keep some funds to buy a drill mill

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Well I've decided to try for a jig saw then the next thing will be a mill of some description. My brother that lives in Sydney and is a member of the Yamaha XS 650 Club of Australia http://www.xs650.org.au/ has asked me if I can cast some parts, starting with a sump extension such as in the photo below And they will need a milled surface sooooo I need a mill. My brother will then sell them through his club

Photo0229.jpg
Plus his mate races a xs 650 and wants me to cast a few lighter parts out of aluminum such as the foot peg hangers in the second
Mike
Photo0230.jpg
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Get the jig saw then the mill, when you are looking for a mill get one with a dovetail not a round post for the piller. It will save a lot of grief later. :roll: ask me I know :oops:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:Get the jig saw then the mill, when you are looking for a mill get one with a dovetail not a round post for the piller. It will save a lot of grief later. :roll: ask me I know :oops:
This the one I was looking at http://www.shawmachinery.com.au/UsedEqu ... html#Mills whats wrong with the round post nudge

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

the head is hard to keep aligned with the Y azis. also make sure when you get a mill that you get one with an R8 spindle. you will have to buy the same amount of tooling to use a R8 spindle but, if and when you upgrade to a larger mill, your tooling will follow, meaning that you can go from a bench top to a Bridgeport clone, or true Bridgeport without having to retool from a morse taper spindle
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice score on the casting work. That is the kind of word of mouth stuff thats starts you on your way to having people look you up when they want something made.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller