My mill

Machines that make the foundry run.
Nudge

Re: My mill

Post by Nudge »

That is a nice looking kit :) If you dont mind me asking what did it set you back :?:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi Nudge, I got them on Ebay for $89 plus postage, not to sure on the quilty but time shall tell http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ws/eBayISAPI ... OU:AU:1123
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

that will take a bunch of work out of changing cutters out, I need to get one for my mill and use it instead of the R8 milling cutter holders that I have, Or get off my backside and finish the shank adapters I started so I can put one cutter holder in the mill and use it to hold several differant sizes of cutters.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:that will take a bunch of work out of changing cutters out, I need to get one for my mill and use it instead of the R8 milling cutter holders that I have, Or get off my backside and finish the shank adapters I started so I can put one cutter holder in the mill and use it to hold several differant sizes of cutters.
Hi Dave , Whats the difference between the r8 milling cutting holders the shank adapters and the mt3 collet holders that I have. Also with your note about Mario Andrette I'm assuming your a race fan, I have always liked Bruce McLaren comment on the death of Timothy Mayer " The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

[quote="mite5255
Hi Dave , Whats the difference between the r8 milling cutting holders the shank adapters and the mt3 collet holders that I have. Also with your note about Mario Andrette I'm assuming your a race fan, I have always liked Bruce McLaren comment on the death of Timothy Mayer " The news that he had died instantly was a terrible shock to all of us, but who is to say that he had not seen more, done more and learned more in his few years than many people do in a lifetime? To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."

Mike[/quote]

The differance is that with the R8 cutter holders you have to change the complete holder, which means you have to unscrew the draw bar completely everytime you want to change a cutter.
The shank adapaters are just that an adapter that will allow me to say put a 13mm shank in an adapter that fits in a 16 mm holder.
The Collet system you bought is the better of the two, they also make a lot of differant size collets that are not in your set. With the collet chuck a quarter turn on the nut and the cutter is loose and ready to be removed and unless your next tool has a differant size shank you just insert and tighten. Remember that they have to be tightened up pretty good because if your milling the side off of something the cutter can be pulled from the collet down into the mill table.

The cutters are not so apt to be be pulled from the Cutter holders that I have as they have a set screw that holds the cutter in place, it doesn't have to be very tight, just snug because when the cutter engages the metal it will spin into the set screw locking it from turning.

The Adapters that I am making 1" from Silver Steel, will have both the set screw flat on the shank and the set screw in the body of the adapter. I will take a picture of the two side by side. I made the adapters so that they would fit a 5/8" Cutter Arbor/Holder.

Your mill may be differant then mine but for a while it seem like everytime I went to use it I had to buy something. If you don't have them get yourself a set of clamping bars and studs, or for pratice make your own. and a couple of decent sized right angle plates work great for those once in a week jobs that no matter how you look at it you just can't see how your going to put it in the vice. A nice new Carborundrum Sharpening stone for dressing the table with, keep it in the box and use it only on the table, it will keep the nicks down. a couple of flat aluminum plates bent to fit over the table will also help save the table. or a couple angles with a piece of plywood, or use some tee nuts and bolt the covers down use someing in the range of 3/4 which here in the states is more like 21/32 works great because you can extend it off the table in three directions, up to the user.

There is a very good book for beginners and also a more advanced book in the Workshop serises of books you may want to look at aquiring.

Yes I am a race fan, I'm more partial to Drag Racing, no sense in taking all day to find out who's going to win, but with a bunch of cars it takes all day. I never aquired the Nascar Bug like a lot of people here have, some call it a sickness. I haven't followed any of it in the last few years since a friend of mine passed away from heart problems, he was a top Alcohol Funny Car driver and owner, I was able to go racing with him, and belive me its a whole lot differant when looking at it from the rear end then it is looking at it from the grandstands. but had some good times wrenching on that old junk yard motor (what he called it) of his.
I found that quote or Mario's somewhere its been so long ago I can't remember where, and I liked it so most all of the fourms and such that I belong to get it as a signature, cause if life is really seeming normal just speed up a little, it'll change.
David
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks for the info Dave, I'll order that book today

Mike
castaway

Post by castaway »

You can also purchase an R8 shank that takes spring collets similar to what "mite" got for his mill. I also got a set for my mill off ebay for my Index mill that originally took a NT30 shank. Here's one for an R8 shown on ebay and you can probably shop around for others there. Bob

http://cgi.ebay.com/23-PC-ER40-SPRING-C ... 20bb77d84f
Last edited by castaway on Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I used to spend my time to save money but now I'm willing to spend my money to save time.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

My fly cutter plus the end mills and slot drillsturned up today :D

Mike
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

That's a sweet looking bit of kit :) if only my wife would let me buy myself one. :roll:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:That's a sweet looking bit of kit :) if only my wife would let me buy myself one. :roll:
Do what I do Nudge, things just turn up here :roll: and some d/head was using a 4mm end mill today just trying out and the f/head snapped it :roll: I won't name the person but he now knows to take things a bit fkn easer, man he sure needs his ass kicked

Mike