My mill

Machines that make the foundry run.
Jammer

Re: My mill

Post by Jammer »

A collander doesn't work, it has too many holes in it. You need a lead lined stainless steel bowl.

You know where you are??? You're in the Jungle baby!! Band??? Def Lep... Guns and Roses?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

He gives it lots of love and tender care while watching the water meter spin into orbit...
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I sure hope his water is cheaper then what I pay
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

hes got his own well, out that far, so as long as the electricty isn't sky high, he can run all the water he wants for a couple dollars a week, heck for no more then it would cost me to run my well I could have the greenest lawn in the nebighorhood but I hate mowing grass. So mines kinda on the brown side till it rains a coulpe inches and and puts some moisture back in the dirt. Groounds so dry and hard right now the worms can't even dig through it.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sorry Mike, I missed that question when the posts went to the next page. Yes I am on my own well, actually I share it with my Brother but water is cheap and plentiful, we have a 10k gallon storage tank and the well puts out over 100 gallons a minute with no drop. The pump doesnt move that much but thats what they measured it at when it was drilled. Funny how they measure it too, they float a cork to make sure the level does not drop and begin pumping water into a 5 gallon bucket speeding up the pump on the rig as long as the cork does not drop. If the cork drops they back off a little and measure how many buckets they get in a minute. When the guy dumping the bucket cant keep up with the amount of water they shut it down and call it 100+ GPM :)

So yeah, quantity of water is no problem, quality is. Our well is very high in mineral content so everything gets white spots on it, dont even want to think about washing the car here and constantly battling buildup of calcium in the tubs and sinks. Until I put an RO system in under the kitchen sink we went through a coffee maker in 6 to 12 months. Also the swamp cooler gets a horrendous buildup on it making it a real pain to clean each year.

I have been looking into a large RO system for the whole house and found some interesting large membranes that I think might do a good job. They are about 3 or 400 dollars for the membrane and housing and would have to be replaced every two to four years. I would also need to put in at least a 1000 gallon storage tank, pressure pump and tank so looking at around 2 grand but I think it would be worth it.

The other thing about RO systems is they waste about 4 times as much water as they make but I figure this would go to irrigation and just put in more trees.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I spent 15 years building ferro-cement water tanks and have made heaps of 10k gallon tanks and larger. Those RO systems are rather expensive to maintain they also seem to use a lot of water, I'm assuming a sand and charcoal would only clear the solids and not dissolved mineral
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Had a play with the mill today. mate had asked if I could cast him some triumph exhaust clamps, so I thought I may as well give the mill ago cleaning them up, I only got a short try, we're off to my home town this weekend, my two granddaughters are being Baptized and seeing her grandparents are getting a bit on she's decided to take them down there so they won't have to travel
0715111146-00.jpg
0715111146-00.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
0715111146-01.jpg
0715111146-01.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
great to see those ally chips :D
0715111147-00.jpg
0715111147-00.jpg (83.25 KiB) Viewed 4752 times
Last edited by mite5255 on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

good to see you starting to use the mill :)
be carfull using a chuck to hold milling cutters. 1> it can work undone. 2> in time the cutter will destort the jaws of the chuck making it usless for holding drills. Use with care ;)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thanks for the tip nudge, a collet set is on my list of things that I need

Mike
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Collets arrived today they range in size from 4mm to 16mm, 63mm Face mill and arbor should be here early next week
S4010068.jpg
S4010068.jpg (38.43 KiB) Viewed 4730 times