My mill

Machines that make the foundry run.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: My mill

Post by Harry »

I keep a credit card for the wife so she always has money for work (gas, lunch ect...) and pay it off at the end of each month. There is enough of a limit on it she can buy whatever she wants but not so much it gets us into trouble. Since I pay all of the bills she doesnt even know whats is in our personal account let alone my business account or PayPal accounts :ugeek:
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

I wont tell anyone about it. (cos Ive done the same thing) :cry:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:I wont tell anyone about it. (cos Ive done the same thing) :cry:
Thanks mate I new I could depend on you ;)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

About a month or so ago I was given a 5 inch vice for the mill, problem was its been sitting on a bench for god knows how long and at one point a air conditioner outlet was dripping on it and it was rusted solid, the person that gave it to me said its probably stuffed. so I took it home and sat it in my parts washer which is full of kerosene, so after 5 weeks sitting in the kero I decided to pull it out and see if its freed up any, no luck so I put a spanner on the adjustment thingy and gave it a whack with a hammer, no movement so I kept hitting the spanner and ever soooo slowly it started to move :D you fkn beauty. I then started to pull it apart to inspect it, all the bolts were rusted on and took a lot of effort to remove them and get it apart, but I eventually got it all apart and to my surprise it was in remarkable good conditions under all the crap. I bead blasted all the bits that would fit in my sand blasting cabinet, every thing else I wire brushed on my bench grinder. It was then painted and reassembled. I think it looks good and will be and will prove to be a valuable piece of equipment, total price for my effort was just my time

Mike
IMG_0131.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG
IMG_0132.JPG (124.92 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
IMG_0133.JPG
th_IMG_0134.jpg
th_IMG_0134.jpg (4.84 KiB) Viewed 4656 times
IMG_0139.JPG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPWKcZys ... e=youtu.be
Last edited by mite5255 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Two more photos

Mike
IMG_0143.JPG
IMG_0144.JPG
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice Mike, that is one fine old piece of iron there and well worth your efforts.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

two things I would do is make some soft jaws for it i fit still has the hard ones in it they like to break cutter teeth
and check and see how much slop is in the slide on it you may have to make new bars and take up the slop to keep it from tilting when you clamp down on something.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:two things I would do is make some soft jaws for it i fit still has the hard ones in it they like to break cutter teeth
and check and see how much slop is in the slide on it you may have to make new bars and take up the slop to keep it from tilting when you clamp down on something.
I never gave the soft jaws a thought thanks Dave, I'll knock up a set , the tilting be checked with my dial indicator when I bolt it to the mill table

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

what I mean by tilting is the movable jaw on those type vice's will try to ride up in the front if there is any play in the slide ways on it, those bars that are bolted to the bottom, I had one I had to make new bar's with a step cut on them so that they would fit closer, I'll get my big 6" vise out and take a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

soft jaws can save a lot of cutters and when they get chewed up toss'em make some new ones. for real delicate stuff make some liners our of flattened out thick wall PVC by heating it in an oven.

Happy New Year
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:what I mean by tilting is the movable jaw on those type vice's will try to ride up in the front if there is any play in the slide ways on it, those bars that are bolted to the bottom, I had one I had to make new bar's with a step cut on them so that they would fit closer, I'll get my big 6" vise out and take a picture so you can see what I am talking about.

soft jaws can save a lot of cutters and when they get chewed up toss'em make some new ones. for real delicate stuff make some liners our of flattened out thick wall PVC by heating it in an oven.

Happy New Year
I knew what you meant by tilting Dave, my first vice was a cheap drill vice and it use to tilt like that when I got it. PVC won't be a problem, making PVC pipe is my regular job