My mill

Machines that make the foundry run.
dallen

Re: My mill

Post by dallen »

you can stop a lot of that by sticking a piece of brazing rod between the part and your jaw that will let the part set down flat and not be pushed up by the jaw. check the bed on that vice after you get it mounted you may need to fly cut it just a tad to true it to your mill.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

I will be checking the bed and if required will fly cut it Dave

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi Dave, I've checked the bed of the vice and its dead flat and level

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

thats good some times with and old vise or cheap vise you have to give em a little TLC like new jaws and dressing up the bed.

dallen

Post by dallen »

heres a video of my mill after I finished getting almost all of the part on it for the column drive that I have been working on for the last couple of months,

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:heres a video of my mill after I finished getting almost all of the part on it for the column drive that I have been working on for the last couple of months,

Thats fantastic Dave, I should look at something like that for my Mill

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

I messed around yesterday and cleaned up the wiring and installed a pushbutton not the one I want which I ordered this morning, along with a return to center joystick style switch with four contact blocks on it so that I can reverse the motor direction simply by switching the motor leads around.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

A little something turned up in the post today, a 50mm boring bar set :o :roll:, things jusssst keep turning up here :lol:
IMG_0352.JPG
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Nice, tooling is where its at once you have a machine. That can easily double the cost just in outfitting it.

Did that happen to get sent to you for a particular project or just one of those wishlist items?

I am looking to get a lathe. Been doing a lot of prototype work lately and need something better than the HF mini I am using. I do have the apron for my old TH54 Atlas now, cost me close to $200 but at least the mechanical part of that lathe is complete now. If I could come up with an affordable variable speed motor to slap on it making room in the shop might be worth the trouble though I would like to get something smaller.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Nice, tooling is where its at once you have a machine. That can easily double the cost just in outfitting it.

Did that happen to get sent to you for a particular project or just one of those wishlist items?

I am looking to get a lathe. Been doing a lot of prototype work lately and need something better than the HF mini I am using. I do have the apron for my old TH54 Atlas now, cost me close to $200 but at least the mechanical part of that lathe is complete now. If I could come up with an affordable variable speed motor to slap on it making room in the shop might be worth the trouble though I would like to get something smaller.
Hi Harry, I need the boring bar to machine out the motorbike exhaust flanges that I make, I did have a made up boring bar that the maintenance fitter at work gave me but for the life of me I cannot find it :cry:, I'll find it now that I've spent the $155 on a new one :shock: , the new one does look more impressive sitting in my tooling cabinet tho :lol:

A lath is just another bit of tooling that I hope to get one day, I don't need a big one but with a minimum of a 500mm bed or a bit bigger would be nice.
I've done a google on the atlas th54 and it looks like a nice machine,what's the bed size on yours. would you need variable speed straight up , couldn't you just change the v belts for the time being till a variable speed turns up

Mike

Mike