My mill

Machines that make the foundry run.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: My mill

Post by Harry »

I kind of thought it might be for those bike parts you were making. Glad to hear that you are still doing those. One part at a time and it begins to add up to something.

Mine is the 54", its a bigger machine tank I need. I bought it almost complete for $100 several years ago but there were some broken parts in the apron. The parts were ridiculous on what folks wanted for them but I finally found the entire apron for $200 so now I am $300 in.

I could set it up with the belts but what I find working on my little lathe is I will switch speeds a lot for different operations like parting or facing and even tune the speed slightly during a cut which aint gonna happen with belts. You have to know ahead of time what speed you want for the tool and the cut, set it and use it until you do something different then set for that. Just seems like way too much of a pain to me when variable speed is available. Plus that monster of belts and pulleys hanging off the lathe looks cool but if it could be eliminated I would thing it would be better.

Like I said before, this is much bigger than I need or even want for the stuff I am working on now though it would be nice to have the length if the need ever does come up. I have been looking at the Jet lathes that sell around $1600 as a big step up from the HF $500 one I have now.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:I kind of thought it might be for those bike parts you were making. Glad to hear that you are still doing those. One part at a time and it begins to add up to something.

Mine is the 54", its a bigger machine tank I need. I bought it almost complete for $100 several years ago but there were some broken parts in the apron. The parts were ridiculous on what folks wanted for them but I finally found the entire apron for $200 so now I am $300 in.

I could set it up with the belts but what I find working on my little lathe is I will switch speeds a lot for different operations like parting or facing and even tune the speed slightly during a cut which aint gonna happen with belts. You have to know ahead of time what speed you want for the tool and the cut, set it and use it until you do something different then set for that. Just seems like way too much of a pain to me when variable speed is available. Plus that monster of belts and pulleys hanging off the lathe looks cool but if it could be eliminated I would thing it would be better.

Like I said before, this is much bigger than I need or even want for the stuff I am working on now though it would be nice to have the length if the need ever does come up. I have been looking at the Jet lathes that sell around $1600 as a big step up from the HF $500 one I have now.
54 inch thats nice size lathe Harry, if and when I get one I'll more then likely get one of these https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/L157
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry find yourself a 3 phase motor and run it off of one of the new single phase to three phase VFD's that are very reasonable. I have two of my lathes running on them.

Mike unless you can get a lot better lathe then what I ended up with when I bought one in the same size as the one in your like, I would step up to a 10 or 11 inch lathe, machines not much bigger overall but you get a lot more motor on it. The 9 inch one I bought was more like buying a lathe kit which you get to spend all of your first year fixing.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Thats about what I have been looking at Mike, much better than the little HF I have not but not breaking the bank. Been cruising Craigslist lately and will probably find something before too long. Got to get the timing right for the $ end.

Dallen, thats a great suggestion. Any links to the VFDs you are talking about? I am kind of clueless on what would work with what when it comes to electric stuffs. Also what kind of HP do you think the ole th54 would need?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
Mike unless you can get a lot better lathe then what I ended up with when I bought one in the same size as the one in your like, I would step up to a 10 or 11 inch lathe, machines not much bigger overall but you get a lot more motor on it. The 9 inch one I bought was more like buying a lathe kit which you get to spend all of your first year fixing.
I hear what your saying Dave, the 10 or 11 inch would be better

Harry wrote:Thats about what I have been looking at Mike, much better than the little HF I have not but not breaking the bank. Been cruising Craigslist lately and will probably find something before too long. Got to get the timing right for the $ end.
I keep checking Ebay but I find anything that's about what I would wont , the price goes through the roof , so that makes buying new a better option, My poor suffering wife will freak when one does just turns up one day :roll: . Craigslist is not very big here yet so there's nothing much for sale .
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry wrote:Thats about what I have been looking at Mike, much better than the little HF I have not but not breaking the bank. Been cruising Craigslist lately and will probably find something before too long. Got to get the timing right for the $ end.

Dallen, thats a great suggestion. Any links to the VFDs you are talking about? I am kind of clueless on what would work with what when it comes to electric stuffs. Also what kind of HP do you think the ole th54 would need?
Harry
look at the Teco units that are on the market, the two that I have I got both of them from Automation Direct ordered them off of their website. As far as horsepower what size motor is on it now. I haven't had any dealings with a 54 inch Atlas so I don't know what size motor is on it.

But I wouldn't think that it has anything to big on it, the VFD that I have on my 12 inch lathe I gave 200.00 for it and it will run up to a two HP motor I believe.

MemphisChild

Post by MemphisChild »

Hey! You did sort of supposed it could be for those cycle parts you were making. One part at once and it starts to signify something.

Click Here
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Finely put a DRO on the z axis on the mill today, I've had this unit for a long time so today on it went

dallen

Post by dallen »

you won't regret putting it on, whats the copper line for coolant, air, or beer?

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

mite5255 wrote:Finely put a DRO on the z axis on the mill today, I've had this unit for a long time so today on it went

Air Dave only air :lol: