Note to self, stay focused on the job at hand

Machines that make the foundry run.
mite5255

Note to self, stay focused on the job at hand

Post by mite5255 »

Note to self when using equipment that has spinning things, stay focused on the job at hand no mater what the distraction is.

A mate had given me an exhaust clamp from a Triumph motort bike so I could copy it and maybe sell a few, so today I was machine finishing some of the better ones on my mill. Any how at the time I was using a boring bar
boring bar 001.JPG
Just as I was clamping the exhaust clamp in the vice my wife came out to ask if I wanted A coffee, we had a bit of a chat, I then said give me about 5 minutes, soooooooo I centred the job turned on the mill, I then brought the cutter down to the job, it barely touched it and it took it straight out of the vice f@rk I did't tighten the vice right up, the clam was spinning on the boring bar, I turned to get the hell outa there when the bar let the clamp go and it whacked me on the side , so I then turned the machine off, this of cause happened in a split second, no harm was done to me but the exhaust clamp is going to be remelted, but then again I may attached it to post to remind me to stay focused on the job at hand
005.JPG
006.JPG
003.JPG
Harry maybe we need a section for the little incidents that we have so everyone can have ether a chuckle or maybe learn from others mistakes

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Note to self, stay focused on the job at hand

Post by dallen »

Fly cutter like that can be really nasty when they got stuff hanging on and their spinning like a top. I know I have a 5 pound chunk of 1018 steel (drive head for my muller) it didn't get loose the mill took it out of hand when the 1" end mill I was using decided to play some games, luckily I got the mill turned off and all i got was a cracked thumb that took for ever to heal, could of lost my arm due to my stupidness. I'll have to find a picture of the part and post it.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Why pick on moving parts.
I looked out a window when I was nailing it in and hit my finger with my hammer.
That part wasn't so bad, until I realised that I had just stuffed my finger over the head of the nail :o
Image009.jpg
Image009.jpg (21.61 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Image010.jpg
Image010.jpg (23.29 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
Imagea11.jpg
Imagea11.jpg (25.53 KiB) Viewed 5169 times
I had to push the head of the nail through the rest of the way to get it out.

Never never never take your eye or mind off the job!
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
dallen

Post by dallen »

single edge razor blade before it starts to hurt. I hate backing screw's out our fingers especially after they went half way thru the bone. Nail guns are good for that also Nudge someone hollars you look away just as your placing the gun down ends up on your foot, what really sucks is when you don't have a hammer to get loose.

Was holding a scab up under another board on my shed roof when I replaced it,

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:single edge razor blade before it starts to hurt. I hate backing screw's out our fingers especially after they went half way thru the bone. Nail guns are good for that also Nudge someone hollars you look away just as your placing the gun down ends up on your foot, what really sucks is when you don't have a hammer to get loose.

Was holding a scab up under another board on my shed roof when I replaced it,
@ Nudge. Was it about Easter time that you tried nailing your self nudge :lol:

@Dallen . man trying to unscrew a screw from the bone that would hurt

Mike
dallen

Post by dallen »

yea I know, hurts like you would believe unless you try it.

mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:yea I know, hurts like you would believe unless you try it.
For now I think I'll give it a miss
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

It was september 2009 I can still see where it went in, and came out :shock:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Nudge wrote:It was september 2009 I can still see where it went in, and came out :shock:
A bit late in the year for trying to run nails through ya hands :lol:
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I shot a 16p through my thumb, was popping nails through simpson steel strong ties... I know, not supposed to be doing that. Well I was holding the tie in place with one hand and got the gun just a little off perpendicular and the nail glanced off and went through my thumb, right through the bone. At first I thought the vibration from the tie just smacked me until I looked and the nail was banana shaped with half hanging out each side. Went and got a tetanus because it had been awhile.

I cant believe you took time to take a picture, my first reaction was to yank it out which I promptly did. Another thing you arent supposed to do but you know instinct is a powerful thing.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller