I've got the CNC running

Machines that make the foundry run.
Jammer

I've got the CNC running

Post by Jammer »

I had a little trouble getting the CNC up and running. It took some damage in the move. I think my Brother-in law was standing on it. Nothing bad, I had to straighten a brace and reconnect a couple wires. The computer acted up a little but I got it going. Made a couple practice cuts and made sure the motors OK.
This is a plaque I'm making for a friend at the forge. He restored a set of Howe scales and didn't have the name plate for it. I'm going to cut it in wood now and then cast it in Brass later.
004.JPG
The second one is a line drawing of the TARDIS for my son. He's a big Doctor Who fan. I used to be but I don't care for the new one and I can't get it on my TV anyway. I still have to work on it, too many lines and make the edges rough.
005.JPG
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Re: I've got the CNC running

Post by F.C. »

What brand of machine is that? Does it do just lateral passes (up/down/laterally side to side) or can you get it to cut a continuous circle, from tip insertion to finish cut? I've seen cuts made by a "Carvewright" machine (side to side cuts only) and they produce some amazing good results. Lots of clean up, though, with the finished product, but still very good details.
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

On my want list... FC, I think Jammer's machine is DIY....
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I built it. From a pile of old medical junk. It's a 3 axis machine, X, Y, and Z. I hope to add an axis for turning, like a small lathe. I have only cut foam and some wood with it. I think if I put a speed control on the motor I may be able to cut some Aluminum... very slowly.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Man-O-MAN!!! I could sure use your services to make some patterns. What drawing program does it require for data input? What's the hardest wood (or other material) it'll take with ease and without issue? I have some candy mold designs I'd like to have cut into patterns. Also have some waffle grate designs needing put to pattern stock. And a HOOT load of others, too, I've been drawing up for several years. ARE you up for cutting patterns for others, and if so, what's your fee?
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Right now I'm playing with some free programs. I found a really nice one that will take a line drawing and create a g-code for cutting it as is or has an engraving program that will cut deeper and wider lines. I am looking at different programs but I'm not a computer whizz so I'm not sure which one to get.
I'm thinking of trying a couple different things. One would be just lost foam, not to have to worry about draft or pulling the pattern. Or, I could cut patterns in foam and then paint them with some tough paint to use as a pattern, probably have a short life but could work for a dozen or so pours. Also there is denser foam or a light wood like Bass wood. I found a little mill in Chatt that has Mahogany and all types of wood. I've been cutting into scrap wood which is not very good and <Surprise> I get crappy results!
The problem I'm having now is I'm losing a step here and there and the cut goes way off. Might be the cold, I put some grease on the rails and bearings. It has turned to wax. I may have to take the bearings off and soak them.
I can try a couple simple patterns for you. I've been bartering most of the time. I'm doing the plaque for a fellow who used to cast and teach. his health isn't good and he sold everything except some wax. So I'm trading him. I though it was 10 or 20 pounds but sounds like it's closer to 100. May be offering some on here soon. He said it's foundry carving wax. so we'll see.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Wow Jammer that's cool. I've been waiting on a person that has a small hobby CNC for over two months to make me a pattern for two different coffee cup coaster's and I'm about to tell him not bother, I know there will be postage cost, but if you want the job jammer I would rather be putting dollars in your pocket
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Mike, I was going to post some pictures of a coaster I did last year. I couldn't find one. Then I forgot about it. It was a deer head, 8 point buck, on a disc about 100 mm. If you want to send a picture I'll see what I can come up with. I've been taking simple black and white drawings and cleaning them up in Paint and then creating a DXF file to generated the g-code. It's been working out pretty well, I've got about 5 projects going right now. The cold here is keeping me indoors. DAllen keeps sending the cold air over to me and I send it on to Chucketn. Supposed to be in the 50's not the 20's.

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index. ... 387.0.html
Attachments
These are not mine but they look about the same. The thread is from the mach3 site. There are some rope borders I've wanted to try.
These are not mine but they look about the same. The thread is from the mach3 site. There are some rope borders I've wanted to try.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:Mike, I was going to post some pictures of a coaster I did last year. I couldn't find one. Then I forgot about it. It was a deer head, 10 point buck, on a disc about 100 mm. If you want to send a picture I'll see what I can come up with. I've been taking simple black and white drawings and cleaning them up in Paint and then creating a DXF file to generated the g-code. It's been working out pretty well, I've got about 5 projects going right now. The cold here is keeping me indoors. DAllen keeps sending the cold air over to me and I send it on to Chucketn. Supposed to be in the 50's not the 20's.
Fantastic Jerry, I'll get on to it...74 here at the moment ;)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

Jerry don't be blaming the cold air on me, I left it all in Alaska with Frank when I left up there way back in the 70's, don't know why it keeps trying to move in down here, you would think it would stay up there with the EX where its suppose to be.

Got shipping confirmation on my steppers and such for my CNC router that I'm trying to scrape up enough to put together.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette