crane

Machines that make the foundry run.
mite5255

crane

Post by mite5255 »

I finely have a crane installed, Its about 6ft long and only about 5ft off the ground, I'm hoping that I'll have enough height.I picked this up at the local rubbish dump for $20, when I got it home I noticed that they had $40 marked on it. It didn't have the square tube on it, that was put on for a girder trolly which has to be built and I hope to have that done this week

When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: crane

Post by dallen »

I made mine out of some 2.5 inch pipe, only thing I've used it for to date is to pick upend my riding mower so I can sharpen the blades. but I have it so that it swing over the furnace and casting bench for when I need it. also put it high enough that I can walk under it. will grab a photo and post it tomorrow.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

was very restricted on how high I could go, at a later date I may put a post in just for it and not have it hanging off my shop post
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

worked on this today

just about ready to hook up some power, see if it smokes.

Here's a shot of my crane, I can swing it about 180 degrees, so if I need I can pick the furnace up and set it out from under the shed. My support post is a little bigger then your's is Mike. That telephone pole is in the ground about 9 feet.

DA

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The trolley will be nice for positioning Mike, just make sure you dont pick anything really heavy while it is in close and roll it out once suspended. DA, just curious about yours, cant really see in the picture but it doesnt looked to be strapped around that pole, is is through bolted?
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

bolted to the pole all the weight pushes it back into the pole,

DA

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Aha, did not see the cable first time around. Thats where all the pulling is the way you have it so as long as that cannot come off the pole there would be no worries.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

Harry, living in redneck country I figured that a couple of 2 inch fence staples would be good enough. But then the shop monster got his nose in the way and I used a lag bolt with a chain link welded to it, so with the 5/16" cable it should be good for at least a few hundred pounds of molten metal.

The guy wire can't come off, its put thru eyes on both ends with standard cable clamps of the correct size for the wire rope. The Crane is there more for moving the furnace out away from the shed if I need more room then it is for pulling crucible so molten metal, although that has been figured into its placement.

DA

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Haha, we could be neighbors ;) That cable is the critical part, like you said the weight is pushing into the pole. It sounds like you have that cable anchored well.

I sure do like these cranes, if ever the need did arise for a very large pour it sure would come in handy and of course being able to move your furnace into shelter has to be great.

Did you do anything for belt tracking on the sander? Wondering if a bit of concave on the wheels would help or if the belt just stays centered on its own? Is that for sharpening knives?
Muller
dallen

Post by dallen »

the crane is there if I need it, one reason the furnace and stuff was moved there from out in the middle of the yard where I had to mow around the stuff. the furnace sits under the edge of the roof and is drenched everytime it rains, but it kept covered with a piece of goldfish pond liner.

The grinder has convex wheels on it but you still have to have things in alignment, its running ok at the moment just a little to one side so minor adjustment of the motor angle is required, my main reason for wanting a belt grinder was for cleaning up castings, but yes it will also see duty as a knife grinder.

DA