Making things easier

Machines that make the foundry run.
mite5255

Making things easier

Post by mite5255 »

With the back issues that I've been having I been trying to work out ways of making things easier, One thing that I thought that would make things easier was a muller.
Wife and I were at the local hardware chain Bunnings ( http://www.bunnings.com.au/?gclid=CJCD8 ... vQodsmYCRw ) and they had a small concrete mixer, I was giving the mixer a good look over when the wife inquired why was I looking at the mixer, I told her I wanted something to mix my sand and also something to remix the sand after I've been casting.
The price on the mixer was $299.00, wife said if I want it she'll pay for It, I declined the offer.
we when and picked up the gardening stuff that we wanted and as we were loading the stuff into my ute, my wife offered to buy the mixer, I refused again, she then said last chance to get it and if I refused this time she won't offer again, I accepted the offer. so here it is.

My plan is to build something like HTI built on the other site http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/showthrea ... %28pics%29 I have started to fabricate the brackets. The top part of the bowl will be removed and cut down so its only 4 inches high then replaced
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Re: Making things easier

Post by dallen »

looks like you have a damn good start on building a muller, the one that HT1 built seems to work pretty darn good for him.

anything to take care of the old spine is a good thing.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Will she buy me one? :)

We have discount tool places here and they have a small mixer like that. I'm waiting until they have a sale. I don't know which I want a mixer or a hydraulic press?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

I've had that same dream, Mike... only I want a combination muller and sand recovery unit that'll do both plus extract the product on its own so I don't have to shovel it back out. The idea is to break open the sand molds at the entrance of the unit, flip a switch and it'll mulch and mull the sand back to perfection. I have a small hand held model begun on my weld bench which should be operational in a week or so. If it does what I suspect it'll do I'll commit a newly acquired discarded water tank for use build'n the full size version. Once the concept is defined and all components ready to assemble the model I'll post some pics. :-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Will look forward to seeing you project come to life Frank

Did a bit to the muller today. cut welded and fitted struts, cross beam is just clamped into position so I can measure and dummy try position of wheels. Wheels are cast iron and are 8 inches in dia and 3 inches thick, they weight 15 KG's each ( 33 LB )floor has been cut and is in place but hasn't been welded into position yet. I'm off to a historic car race meeting for a hour or two tomorrow and have promised the little woman when I get back I'll do some gardening that she has been asking me to do so maybe not much will happen tomorrow

F.C.

Post by F.C. »

OK boys and girls... I think I got this figured out!! Using a small gas cylinder I cut it down to size, cut an opening along the side, took a steel rod and welded some split & bent washers along its shank (to form something along the line of an ice auger), then welded some pin stock at multiple areas along the shank to act as agitators, then after welding the end cap onto the cylinder I chucked up my drill motor to it and loaded the whole thing up with nuth'n but super hard clots of sand I couldn't pinch by hand and crush. Using a spray bottle I moistened the sand clots occasionally and continued to mulch the clots both forward and reverse rotations (a minute in each direction). The pictures speak for themselves.. :lol:
Attachments
100_5248.JPG
100_5249.JPG
100_5251.JPG
100_5252.JPG
100_5253.JPG
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Sorry I got them in reverse order, but if you scroll to the bottom and view them bottom to top you'll see the progression. Below I've added pictures of the unit loaded with nuth'n but hard damn clots, the last couple pics you can see how uniform the mulch was. For such a small unit it only took maybe five minutes to pulverize all those clots and more that were added as the progression continued. I dumped out the sand and ran it through my hands and couldn't feel any small clots at all. Seems the sand acted as its own abrasive as the mulch continued.

Now, all I got to do is fab a feeding trough at that opening I can shovel sand into and a drop down, or slide open gate that'll let the sand out when I turn the motor to reverse.

I have a nice FAT thick walled discarded hot water pressure tank I can use for the full scale version. I'll use pipe for an auger shank coupled to some sealed bearings fitted to the tank ends, and add pulleys to drive end and a motor attached to a fabricated bracket. Then build a stout frame beneath the unit to anchor it to the floor so it don't wobble about while under load.
Attachments
100_5266.JPG
100_5265.JPG
100_5264.JPG
100_5255.JPG
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

The drill speed, by the way, was fairly slow otherwise sand would'a went fly'n out all over the place. LOL....
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That looks great frank :). Wouldn't that make a mess of fingers place in the wrong place at the wrong time, it sure would get your attention REAL quick :lol:
I've sent a PM to Jerry asking if he can move this thread up a bit under the muller and mixers heading, some blind person, who shall remain nameless :? didn't see that forum heading
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Indeed it would, Mike... on a full scale it could potentially snag and yard someone kick'n and screaming into it. That's why I stated it would require a raised feeding trough attached to that opening and for added safety a hinged lid with a latch. But, keep in mind it's not speed that makes this thing work, rather, a slow grind is what makes it function best.