anyone got a Wheel and plow muller?

Machines that make the foundry run.
chucketn

anyone got a Wheel and plow muller?

Post by chucketn »

Anyone within a reasonable distance of Jonesborough, TN have a wheel and plow muller that would be willing to mull my new(unused for casting) Petrobond Sand?
I'm having problems getting a good mold for pouring aluminum for a Gingery Shaper. The edges and simple details are breaking out.

Chuck
MicroMark 7x14 lathe, X2 mill, 4x6 bandsaw, small foudry
Jammer

Re: anyone got a Wheel and plow muller?

Post by Jammer »

I wish I could help you Chuck. I think there must be a problem with your PB ll, I don't know how to help.

I see you had the pleasure of Mr. Power's wisdom on I forge. Tells you to get off the blacksmith site and go to a casting site that is no longer around, it changed to AA from the BYMC, what, 6 years ago or more. But, he's a brilliant man and knows everything about anything...just ask him.

Just so everyone knows, Chuck has already built a Vantorne muller and has ask for help on every forum that has a casting section. The Petrobnd 2 is not living up to the hype. Anyone have any helpful advice? Or, know anyone with a muller for sale?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Post by dallen »

just saw this, damn shame your not closer I'd run your sand thru my muller.

one thing you can try is when you flip the drag over to ram the cope is to run your finger around all the edges of the pattern so that you know for sure that the sand hasn't creeped over the edge, another thing is oil bonded sand can be rammed up really hard which will stop it from crumbling on the edges but you may have to use a vent wire so that the sand will breath.

get a bottle of heat gas treatment in the red bottle if you can and run the sand thru the muller a little at a time and add the Heat with a spray bottle, and don't put a whole bunch of it in the sand, IT only takes a little bit.
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
dallen

Post by dallen »

another thing is DON'T add any oil to the sand as you haven't burned out whats already in it, it just needs to be brought back to life.

chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Thanks, DA, I had a heated exchange with a couple of the crudmudgens on IFI and decided that wasn't the place for me. If I want to be shouted down or insulted, I'd poke the wife, LOL. Yeah, wish you were closer, too! I could learn a lot from you.
I picked up some 70% rubbing alcohol and synthetic 2-stroke oil today. I'll play with a ziplock bag or two of the PB II sand to see if I can improve it. I have some petrobond clay that Jammer gave me, and some nice mortar sand to play with. Before that, though, I think I'll work up some of my water bond greensand and try a mold or two of that, just to see if it could be the patterns.
I'm still looking for an affordable wheel and plow muller, though, if there is such a thing.

Chuck
dallen

Post by dallen »

any progress on this problem

chucketn

Post by chucketn »

Not yet, Dave. Been distracted by 'Honey Doos' and regular chores. I did find a youtube series on building one by user Soat Mon.

https://youtu.be/aAhIpbc17KU

I downloaded the 9 vids in the series, and even contacted the maker to see if there were plans available. Unfortunately, there wasn't. So, I'll be making copious notes...

Chuck
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I have some good drawings of a commercial muller, I'll have to do some looking to find them. I think I put them on a disc somewhere. :?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Stephen Chastain has a book on building a Muller, I have it and if you were closer I'd let you borrow it
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
dallen

Post by dallen »

I sorta followed Chastain's book when I built mine, I didn't go to the extremes that he did and cast a gear case, I found that sprockets and chain along with a V-belt from the motor to the first step down in reduction works just fine, its been serving me just fine.

I have his book somewhere, I can loan it to you if I can find it, if you want to take a peek at it, I won't say to follow his design totally as its way over built but I can see why he did that what with selling the book to people who may stick their fingers into places that they shouldn't.

Anyway let me know and I'll see if I can find it.