Hill Billy CNC

Machines that make the foundry run.
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Hill Billy CNC

Post by Harry »

That is cool Don, looks like it works great.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Thanks HT, it's pretty sturdy as the parallel main bars are "H" shaped(laying on their sides) to prevent any twisting. The pivots have nylon bearing surfaces with nylon washers between the support bars,all to prevent any drag so the tracing flows smoothly.
I see twisting as the potential problem in your case so I'd add a couple of layers to the single bars on mine to prevent the tool twisting as it's pushed along by the stylus.I belive the basic structure mine has would support sduch an addition.The next potential problem is the leverage is working against you instead of for you so the bearings need to be snug and slick or the movement might not be smooth and any slight oops will be magnafied on the piece being cut.That being said I sure think it's doable (not sure that's a word).Keep me in the loop if you work it out OK?
Don
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Thanks Harry,
We blindpigs must be persistant if were ever going to find an acorn,LOL.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Thats really cool :)

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
4cylndrfury

Post by 4cylndrfury »

Nice work BP. The next step is to cast the individual arms with multiple points for the parallels to attatch so you can adjust the enlargement or reduction.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication"
-Leonardo Di Vinci

"The future's uncertain and the end is always near...."
-Jim Morrison
blindpig

Post by blindpig »

Thanks guys,
4C, I toyed with the idea of multiple adjustments and decided the 50% reduction would be most useful as the stylus /cutter diameters also need to be adjusted for the reduction and those other % would require a lot of extra sizes of each (read cheap).Actually the 50% has caused some problems as my pattern is pretty small even at 200% for the proper stylus/cutter combo and is going to require some non-pantograph finishing. Seems certain areas in the script are tight for the stylus to follow but fortunatly it's only in a couple of areas.
Some time I might try casting the pantograph but for now just going to work with what I have (seems to be performing well).
Hope to have some pictures of the resulting patterns soon (for some reason seem to have excessive "honey do" projects now, LOL),so will be getting back to it ASAP....
Don
barryjyoung

Post by barryjyoung »

Nice pantograph. It looks very similar to one made by Rudy Kouhoupt in Home Shop Machinist a long time ago.....Great minds .

Barry