CNC Build Beggining soon.

Machines that make the foundry run.
Jelly

CNC Build Beggining soon.

Post by Jelly »

*sigh* I had a LARGE post typed out, and I forgot to save it. I will attempt to re-type this epic post I had.

I left my CNC machine at home that was built from the kit I ordered from Bluumaxcnc.com Well, I have the bug again, but I have some new requirements.

I found a desktop sized cnc machine that should be portable enough to take with me wherever I go. Its Open source, so im allowed to copy it as long as I mention the source. Makeyourbot.org is where I found it, its called the Mantis 9.1 :) The bill of materials shows to be about 85 dollars not including electronics. Plus, the patterns can be printed out on 8.5x11" Paper so it gives you an idea of the small scale.

I will probably place my order this week for most of my parts, and buy the wood this weekend as well. I have figured, I need a small drill press. Otherwise I will not be able to drill the holes straight enough to get any kind of accuracy. A drill press is a handy investment anyways lol.

My biggest beef, is that this machine WILL have home/limit switches. I was so tired of my last machine not cutting where I expected it to be. I'd manually home my machine, and it'd still cut mid table :/ Im sure there are lots of things I can learn. But i know home/limit switches are the way to go.

So guys, stay tuned, Feel free to post, comment, recommend things....

Any recommendations on Drivers?
Im going with EMC2, Probably going to build a small Mini-itx system to dedicate JUST for the cnc.

Shadow.
Jelly

Re: CNC Build Beggining soon.

Post by Jelly »

Well, here's where i stand to-date. I have ordered parts from Jameco, Servo-City, and USABEARINGS out of Florida.

Here's what I've ordered.

Harry's CNC Time - 60$
I purchased machine time on Harry's CNC machine, he's going to cut out the machine panels for me from a piece of higher quality hardwood. (Plywood?) You can find him at CastCnC.com and Founddreaming.com He owns/operates both sites. If you are ever in the market for a RIGID SUPER AWERSOME CNC machine, he's got cast pieces and plans to build a 4x4 Hybrid version of Joes CNC. He charged me 60$ for the time to cut my plywood. Thanks again harry.

Jameco - 4x DC MOTOR , 12VDC , 8750MA
$2.95 each x4, $11.80, $7.90 Shipping - $19.70 Total.
Motors
Motors
I ordered 4, because Jameco has a 10$ minimum order, Or you can pay 5$ order fee, I figured I'd rather get more parts for my money rather then pay an empty Order fee.

Current @ Max. Efficiency (A) 2.05
Efficiency 66
Nominal Voltage (VDC) 12
Shaft Diameter (inch) 0.091
Shaft Length (inch) 0.622
Size (Dia) 1.082 x 1.279
Speed @ Max. Efficiency (RPM) 19850
Terminal Type 0.12/Solder
Voltage Range (VDC) 6-12
Torque @ Max. Efficiency (g-cm) 79.7

ServoCity - 2 Items
$11.50 Total, Shipping and Handling: $6.99
18.49 Total
Shaft and Coupler
Shaft and Coupler
Coupler Closeup
Coupler Closeup
#SS250-3.00 1/4"x3" Precision Shaft $3.25
#CDS-B1-4 1/8" to 1/4" Rigid Shaft Coupler $8.25

usabearingsbelts - Ebay Seller
Bearings.
Bearings.
I probably overpaid for overspec'd pieces of junk, but I'd love to prove myself wrong.

2x R4-ZZ Premium Bearing 1/4 x 5/8 R4 ZZ, ABEC 3 @$4.97each, Free shipping.
Bore-1/4 OD-5/8 Width-.1960
Shields - Metal Shields on 2 sides to protect from dust and other contaminates
Lubrication - Wide temperature range Mobil Polyrex EM2 (-40 to + 350)
Noise Testing - Noise tested before and after lubrication
Noise Level - Passes V2 Noise Vibration Standards Smaller Sized, V3 Standards. Large Bore- Meets or exceeds Electric Motor
Precision Balls - Matched ABMA Grade 10 or better for roundness
Raceways - Finely honed Super Finished for long life and low noise
Quality Level - Premium bearings are ABEC 3/C3 compatable
Testing - Independent Endurance testing has verified our Premium bearings Outperformed all low cost bearings and matched or exceeded the performance of well-known brand name bearings

I know I didnt have to post the specs of everything, but I wanted to justify what I spent on the quality and specs. Everything I ordered this first time around was basically for the Low-Cost Spindle designed by David Carr. You can find the original design and specs here http://makeyourbot.org/low-cost-spindle-2-0

So... Thats where I stand. I will probably place a McMaster order this friday, I would have allready placed it, but thier online website order system doesn't like me... I'll have to call them with part numbers. I hate being on the phone >.<

I hope you guys enjoyed my update... And, I hope you enjoyed the pictures of my goodies!
Last edited by Jelly on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

And one more, for good measure.

Edit: 7/15/2011

I've put together most of the machine. I followed the build logs available at http://makeyourbot.org/mantis9-1 and http://trackhacker.com/archives/430 And have done the best I could to get things straight and narrow.

I also realized, The spec was to be made with 1/2" thick wood, which was nowhere stated on any of these sites that I could see. So imagine, My surprise when I started putting things together and they didn't fit right or line up properly with 3/4" plywood. My bad, No biggie though I have sandpaper and plenty of time right? Lol. So, I sanded my spindle mount down, then I installed several T-nuts and realized, Great, Now my machine screws for the T-nuts are not long enough. Improvise! I drilled 3/8" holes halfway into anything that required a machine screw. This made it so I could stick with the original length t-nuts and machine screws.

I don't really have pictures of the process, but the sites mentioned above have plenty of pictures. I'll get to electronics next update.
DSCF8266.JPG
DSCF8267.JPG
DSCF8268.JPG
DSCF8269.JPG
DSCF8270.JPG
I know the Z axis (spindle) is not exactly square looking, but the slide is perfectly straight. I know i wont get perfect accuracy out of this machine, but this will be alot more rigid than my bluumax machine I had was. Once I learn the software side of things and progress in my abilities to manipulate drawings and actually MAKE something, I'll build a better machine. (Oh, yes, when i get better tools as well, im working with almost nothing but basic hand tools right now) (I borrowed a crappy drill and a jigsaw)
Last edited by Jelly on Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Great, will be looking forward to see it. Even a small build like this would be fantastic for making patterns for casting.

I would thin your drivers are going to depend on the motors. Dont have a clue as EMC2 since I use Mach3, I will say mach is worth every dime of the license fee to me.

What happened to your post? FC mentioned losing one the other day. Did you try the back button once you realized it was gone? I can usually back up to the posting screen with the post intact.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
davidbraley

Post by davidbraley »

Hi Shadowfangs,

Be careful with the Mini-ITX platform and EMC2. The onboard video with some of those tiny creatures have trouble with the EMC2 control software.

There is an EMC forum over at linuxcnc.org. Post the exact model of M.B. you're thinking of using, and the good folks over there will let you know if it will work.

Just my two cents.

David
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

It was not the forums fault, I closed my browser before I had hit post... Lol.
Nudge

Post by Nudge »

Looking forward to it also . :)
It sounds about the same size as mine.

My one will cut an A4 sized area, 210mm 300mm or 11" X 17"
I am so cheap I am still using turbo cnc with DOS :oops:
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!
Jelly

Post by Jelly »

@David, thanks for the heads up. I will for sure ask before purchasing my mini-itx board.

@Nudge Yours is quite a bit larger than mine, I'm starting out extremely small compared to yours. My cutting area will be 4.25 x 8.75 :-p Large enough for decent sized copper clad boards and such.

I could probably go cheaper If i just used my dremel, but I like the idea of having a dedicated spindle to start with. I will probably use this to make parts for my next "bigger and Better" machine, but that won't be until I learn alot about what im doing. Thanks for all the replies this keeps me motivated as well. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlDpZl-QIAA
That's an action shot of the machine I would like to build.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

You can easily embed youtube videos here by just using the jumble of letters at the end of the address, in this case the nlDpZl-QIAA

Just paste in that then click and drag to highlight it and click the yuotube button on the posting page.

The machine looks good, really you can cobble just about anything together as long as it runs true and is stout enough for the application. Understanding the software side and getting the electronics working with the computer was the scary part for me but once that is done it is an amazing thing to watch.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Harry wrote:Understanding the software side and getting the electronics working with the computer was the scary part for me but once that is done it is an amazing thing to watch.
That's been the scary part for me too. I was down to just wiring up a couple limit switches on mine and I stalled. Haven't been able to work on it for quite a while. If I will just get to it and mount a couple more switches and about a dozen wires I think I would be ready to try it out. I've got Mach3 also.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)