Lookin Great FC!

FCs Project Collection
F.C.

Re: Lookin Great FC!

Post by F.C. »

I've learned pert near everything I know from old dudes too old to work anymore but still willing to share their knowledge to "anyone" willing to listen to them talk and give them some company. I feel their pain now. I'm damn near in that same saddle these days. All the young bucks act as though they got the world by the ass. Fact is, all they're doing is hold'n the world back from move'n ahead. I've tried for 20 years to fulfill my promise that what i learned I'd share with others. Other than you folks, I've not found a soul that seems to give a rip about this stuff. Likewise with art... or anything else I've tried to pass along. Now I understand why old dudes, at some point, just say fuck it and withdraw into their own world and do what they do till they drop over dead. And it always amazes me how folks talk about 'em after they're gone like ... "he was such a recluse, so sad.".... or, "he was a crazy ole coot with a lot of wild-eyed ideas, of course, none' of 'em made any sense". HAHAHAHAHA.... stupid fucks.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Maybe if you have a community college near you FC you could do a seminar. A lot of those schools have a foundry, thats where I did my first metal casting, luckily we had a teacher who was able to give a good understanding but often they might have a teacher there who doesnt even use the foundry and even if they do might do well to learn a thing or two from you.

I do know what you mean though, sometimes I wish I had a neighbor who would kick it around and make things but then most of the time I like the quiet ;) The Armenian guy next door doesnt understand enough english for much conversation but we can click glasses over a cocktail from time to time.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Maybe if you have a community college near you FC you could do a seminar. A lot of those schools have a foundry, thats where I did my first metal casting, luckily we had a teacher who was able to give a good understanding but often they might have a teacher there who doesnt even use the foundry and even if they do might do well to learn a thing or two from you.

I do know what you mean though, sometimes I wish I had a neighbor who would kick it around and make things but then most of the time I like the quiet ;) The Armenian guy next door doesnt understand enough english for much conversation but we can click glasses over a cocktail from time to time.
at least you can have a drink together,
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ha, yeah but the problem is thats all he likes to do and while I am taken to my refreshment I like to be productive sometimes too ;) Point is like Frank was expressing it would be nice to have someone close who shared like interests.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Well... might be somethin's come up where i can possibly pass on some of my knowledge in art and casting. There's a local High School here that offers a community sculpture class once a week (in the evenings) and it runs year round from what I'm told. This developed a year ago prior to my return. The guy teach'n the class (from what two of the students said) doesn't know squat about sculpture nor mold making, nor any method by which to transfer their art to any other medium. These two students are actually adults, both avid potters and painters who's work has been recognized a lot in this region. They just want to dabble into sculpture for added skill. But this guy is royally piss'n off the folks that attend 'cause all he does is babysit and "reminnesse" of his glory days as an artist... but, artist of what? He's done nothing so far to teach anybody anything and they're totally upset and disgruntled. Well, those two found out I'm BACK and ferreted me out last week. I went to their class and found that the instructor canceled class that evening and only my two associates showed up. So... we had ourselves a nice 4-1/2 hr chat and visit talk'n about bright ideas and hopes to bring more art into the community. We also discussed how "I'd go about teach'n that course" which I told them frankly I'd teach the "process" first THEN give them assignments to create an object to apply toward the process being taught. Start with a flat rectangle slab of clay and sculpt a high relief focusing on correct beveling for proper mold release, then educate them how to make the mold and transfer the impression into a wax. Next, I'd teach how to create a two piece mold, with yet another assignment to create something reqiring a two piece mold to reproduce. Then teach a three piece mold with more 3-D intended in the art piece being duplicated. Once all three assignments were completed I'd teach how to gate each wax produced and how to gang them together in a mold for investment and ultimate casting in Aluminum. Their jaws dropped with excitement. Two days later they heard from that instructor that he's gotten tired of the course and is going to quit, mainly due everybody being upset in how he's been teach'n the course. So... these two individuals went to the school board to see if they'd enlist me to continue the course which is funded by the city as a community outreach activity... so the position is a "PAID" position. It won't pay much but could potentially match unemployment, plus I don't need much as the wife works full time AND has her massage therapy business bring'n in the bacon.

And to top all this off, those two individuals (friends I've had here when I lived here prior) also told me they'd been negotiating with a well off rich dude here that's old as dirt and has no one to survive him and he's wanting to leave a legacy behind by offer'n to buy a piece of land and build an art studio/foundry onto for the artists in teh community to have a place to go and share their skills and support in the arts. And he'd expect those two to run it. Now this come about prior to my return from Alaska and they mentioned to the ole guy that DAYM... the only guy they knew they'd trust and recommend to build and run the foundry had gone back home to Alaska but they'd keep look'n for that third partner. So, now that they've realized I'm back for good, they're froth'n at the bit to get me and that ole coot together to talk shop. He's currently off on some vacation to some isle he's fond of but soon to return. Once he's back I'll be hook'n up with those two artists and go'n to the guy's mini mansion for a heartfelt visit, introduction, and some design planning for the facilities. Now get this.... I've worked out a dream studio design better than a decade ago that I've added sketches onto over the years since. It's just a dream, cause I could never afford to build it, myself. But I like to dream... So, last fall while unpacking I run across that design plan and almost gave it a toss but thought shit... I've kept it this long, maybe pin it up on the shop wall for inspiration. Now I hear about this ole guy will'n to lay it all out there to give the arts something awesome to have and to hold and run for profit as his legacy before he dies. I'm almost numb from the sheer thought of how all this seems to be coming together. I have to admit, as well, I'm a bit reluctant to get too giddy about it due all the rough roads I've had to travel in life to get to where I am today. I'll believe it when I see it happening. :-) Then it'll be on like Donkey Kong from my part in the grand scheme of things. I CAN get a foundry up and producing and provide any and all sculpture skills required to assist public art or private art commissions in their development. Finger's crossed, my friends.... :-) ;-) Hope the fire gods are behind this gig.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That's great Frank, hope it works out for you

@ Harry I use to have a neighbor in the late 70s and we use to drink together, problem was we also use to brew our own beer, we always did a double batch seeing there was two of us. When both batches were ready to drink we drank them, man oh man, did we ever make a mess of our selves :lol: :lol: :lol:. We had a BBQ one day and after the steak's were on the BBQ for something like 3 hours my wife and his wife took the meat inside and cooked it :lol: :lol:
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Serve no wine till its time... likewise, cook no steak till appetites are fully ready to receive. LOL..... A stomach has only so much room, ya know... priorities need be addressed, first. Those brews were long awaited for with great anticipation... I fully understand the need to ensure each bottle full was equal in quality. :-D Everyone knows a steak is a steak and will damn well taste great even if a bit charred, especially once one's appetite for the bubbly is satisfied. HAHAHA
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

LOL LOL Frank... Man were we ever wasted :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh and I might add, I'm band from EVER brewing beer ever again :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Good for you Frank. Hope it works out for ya….
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Well... the fella that was teach'n that class got pissed the classmembers were grumbling about not learning anything (and literally they were'nt) and he up and quit in a huff and stormed out. LOL..... So, they called to see if I'd come over and chat with the class and I did. Within the first 30 minutes I made it clear that each one of them were attempting artwork that's waaaaay over their heads in complexity. Not a one of them knew diddly about how to make oil based clay, modeling wax, or pull a plaster mold off something they make. None of them had a clue how to carve or sculpt anything and they literally thought that an instructor would teach them how to do master work within a few months. Their attempts at art was about what you'd expect from a bunch of kids mess'n about with play-doh. So... I told them "here's the deal... stop what you're doing (put it on the shelf in wraps) and from here on out you begin to learn from the ground up starting with how to create your own materials. Second, you learn to carve shallow reliefs and draw a one piece mold off that. Third you learn to carve a two sided work of higher relief and draw a two piece mold off that. Then you'll do a SMALL 3-d object, ie., a small bust, apple, or whatever, but make it small and then learn to pull a multiple piece mold off that and then cast all your molds in wax to see what effects you get from the mold process. LEARN BY DOING!!" But, learn by getting familiar with the PROCESSES first, then and only then will you understand how to prepare what you want to do with the mediums you have to work with, and the equipment to transfer your work into another material."

So, they got the hint and damned if they didn't all smile and say THANK YOU!! Yes, they're jazzed now and are on assignment to acquire the list of materials I gave them to bring to class next Wednesday to begin makeing their own materials. I'll also talk to them about making their own sculpture tools if they don't have any and can't afford store bought tools. I also told them that I'd participate "WITH" them and do the same assignments as they do so they can see and learn if anything's confusing to them. Once they get the first two carved relief projects done I'll have them cast that in wax and finish it's details then rub them with graphite so's to use them as patterns to duplicate them in aluminum at my studio this summer in a group sand casting session. That got their nipples hard!! :-) (they're all women, btw, hahaha)

Those who show promise by the time they do their 3-D project I'll give them opportunity to participate in helping me finish my 9-1/2 ft. brown bear sculpture. They'll also get to assist in pulling plaster molds off it and casting those molds in wax, plus participating in the burn out and casting in metal. Anyone interested in learning nto TIG weld they can watch under a hood while I assemble the bear in metal, eventually allowing them to practice on scrap and ultimately letting them weld a section onto the bear once they're confident and I know they won't fuck up. The idea is to get them to learn to do for THEMSELVES and dare to tackle all tasks involved with conviction to learn and master.

The relief work I'll do while I participate with them will be a derby case cover for a friend of mine's Harley. He's from Manchester, England and a hopless "CITY" fan (soccer). He asked if I'd make him a cover for his Harley with the Manchester FC emblem. It'll be a prime opportunity for the class to see how something simple like this can become profit. Anyway, my friend sent me a shiny new smooth chrome derby cover (19 bucks through Amazon) I'll overlay with wax and carve out his team's logo insignia. It'll be used to instruct them on the requirement of 3 to 5 degree bevels necessary to achieve a good sand mold impression and to make ease of pull'n plaster molds from as well.

One of the class members is the owner and operator of the local gallery here in town. She used to live in Alaska and has an established reputation in painting and ceramic tile mosiac public art works. She's been wanting me to join her gallery but frankly, that's just not my thang. I do believe, however, with her appreciation of the education she's about to get from me she'll be talk'n about me and my work to all her art contacts in this region which ought to draw some interest from other bronze artists to come see me for quotes to produce their bronze casts. Also, another gal that's in this class is the wife of that rich dude I've mentioned earlier that wants to build an art foundry/studio/gallery and has been wanting to meet with me to discuss the idea of having me join him and run the foundry end of it. So... last night, the last hour of the class, I gave them all a look-see at my Corbet Monument FB page and a slide show of all the public artworks and private art pieces I've done over the decades. That rich dude's wife's eyes were the size of silver dollars and her mouth was agap on the grand pieces I showed the class. She caught me as the class was leaving and insisted my wife and I come meet with her and her husband at their home next week when he's back in town. :-)

So all day today I decided it's time... time I get off my ass and start work'n out to prep for get'n this foundry fired up and runn'n again. I spent the entire day move'n tether ball to beach ball size rocks about on the property to finish landscaping work i've been meaning to finish. Tomorrow (after my morning exercise warmups) I'll move more rocks to begin building retaining walls for flower beds, etc. By week's end I'll be fall'n back to my old routine of 1/hr military exercises they taught us in Basic Training. I did that every day when I ran my foundry before. I could dead lift (from the floor) and hoist 180 lbs over my head with either arm and press three repetitions of that weight and not break sweat. I'd be lucky to grunt fifty today, but by summer's end I'll be back in shape or DEAD for try'n!! HAHAHA.

Yes sir... I think this year is gonna be the year for wonderful new opportunities. :-)