Lookin Great FC!

FCs Project Collection
mite5255

Re: Lookin Great FC!

Post by mite5255 »

Hey mate that's fantastic, I'm sure that they learn heaps off you :D
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Great on the positive there FC and really cool to hear you have that outlet lined up. Been bustin tail here too as the wife has a slew of new chicks in the brooder and that coop aint gonna build itself, sure be happy when thats done and it will be a lasting asset to the property but doing jobs like that alone can get pretty grueling.

On the gallery, dude, thang or not never hurts to toss something into the fire and see if it heats up. You and Richard both make me think about that frogman dude with those high priced frog and gecko castings, either of you could easily fall into something like that since the skill set is already honed. Filling a little niche to make some extra coin doesnt have many downsides.

Anyhow, real good to hear the tone man... run with it. I agree this has the makings for a very good year.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
latzanimal

Post by latzanimal »

Good for you Frank!
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Well, I had a sit down with the old dude that wants to fund that foundry/studio/gallery gig. He said he's been visiting foundries across the states and believes only the biggest, most modern foundries are the ones get'n the commissions. I told him it was due their having their services professionally promoted and had big bucks back'n 'em. Then he agreed, and mentioned he's visited several art foundries in this region and found that even though they do very nice work they're not all that busy. He then said "if" he was to fund the foundry/studio/gallery he expected it to be able to net 150K the first year and if it didn't he'd pull the plug and sell the building as a commercial property. I told him... "my advice to you, sir, is to keep your money. I didn't come here with my hand out for anything, I can do what I do on my own. I've been doing art castings for over 20 years and know the ropes on how to go about getting recognition, how to keep enough income flow'n through to keep the furnace lit and the lights on. What that entails is swallowing your pride and offer to do utilitarian casts as often as possible, and help the antique restorers get their shit restored. Give a little, gain a lot of recognition. Eventually a plaque will come your way, then another, and another, and ultimately someone will ask you to do a grave marker. Knock out a terrific custom grave marker then you'll have families all across the county come'n to ya to do one for their loved ones. Eventually, some entitity will contact ya to design up something artsy for their entrance beit either a commercial sign or a nice standing piece of sculpture. A foundry's goal (believe it or not) for that first year is to turn away more work than you do that first year. And every year thereafter increase your production and profits by 3 to 5%. Do this for five years and you'll likely hit that 150K income bracket you expect the foundry to make. Keep in mind ain't no one in this county can do what I do, ergo, I got no help, and I'm not about to drag heels to teach kids at minimum wage in hopes they'll turn out worthwhile... not at the onstart of building the business' reputation. Slow growth is 100 times better than a huge flash in the pan. Many foundries go big then go under. I don't intend to fail, rather, I'm in this to live art and cast metal till I drop over in my sand. If you want that legacy of yours to develop a tap root and sprout, then INVEST into art projects either I create or those you want to have designed that will get this county's attention and appreciation. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO ART here in this county other than a few small wall murals. And the only one we have in this town looks like kids did it."

Anyway... he stroked his chin and said, "I LIKE YOU... in fact, you're the first person to EVER tell me to keep my money and tell me you'd just as soon not take the handout. I respect a man that's willing to work to develop his own reputation and offer good service for an honest price. I like your idea about investing into art projects, too". I told him whatever project he does commission would have a dedication plaque honoring his contribution. The only recognition I want is my signature on each work I create and an appropriate profit for the work performed. That name (signature) will eventually get around, but his reputation will soar by appreciation from the community for what he commissions for them all to enjoy. And at that point he told me he had several tons of scrap aluminum (all of it 6000 series high grade aluminum plate and structural members) and asked if I could use it to create cast statues with. I told him yeah, however, I could take that aluminum to the recyclers and sell it to purchase quality art bronze as well. But if he wants cast aluminum art, I'll make cast aluminum art and do a fine job with it. Can always powder coat aluminum to look like bronze.

So, on that note he said thanks, and left for a sailing voyage to Panama and back up the coast to SE Alaska, then back to Seattle. He has since called and told me to go by his place (where he's got all that aluminum) and see if there's anything in that stock I can use to facilitate getting my own shop up and running... consider it one neighbor help'n another, no strings attached. He said when he returns (in a couple weeks from now, he's been gone a week already) he wants me and the wife to come to his place and visit. We can talk shop about art projects he's got in mind he'd like to have done at that time. I do believe I got his attention, especially after I showed him my portfolio of works I've done in public arts. One of his biggest dreams is to create a veterans memorial for the front yard of the court house in the center of town. After seeing what I did for the National Guard before, and for the Air Force in Alaska, he's set on me help'n him create that memorial. He wants my foundry up and running as soon as possible, HAHAHA....
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Got a couple furnaces in the build phase so far, ;-)

When he gets back I'll be ask'n him for a couple of his heavy duty channels (he's got 10 or 15 of them stacked) I can bolt together and suspend lengthwise down the middle of my shop to run a hoist & trolly off of for lift'n heavy molds. Afterall, he said he's got no use for them now that his structural projects are completed. If I don't have a need for any of it he was going to have a recycler come get it. I'll be talk'n to him about melting that shit down into ingots for art project use once he gets back from vacation, HAHA..

Also scored a crap load of angle iron and a few nice pieces of plate steel from another old coot in the community that wanted his yard cleaned up. And another person heard about what I was doing and gave me a 25 gallon propane tank to run my torches and furnaces with. Tomorrow I'll be size'n up that angle iron to mark and get ready to cut for fab'n me another automated sieve for my sand.

FINALLY... I"M ON A ROLL!! and make'n some headway. WhoooHOOO!!
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Well done FRANK, you'll more then make headway mate :D
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Sounds like a great start.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

DAMMIT... my employer up North won't leave me alone. And unfortunately I need the money so yeah... I'm back in Alaska for another four to six weeks. Got one furnace (for small #12 crucibles) ready to line with refractory and another furnace (for #20 crucible) in the start up phase of construction. Scored a nice scrap steel pressure tank (no rust) that'll serve to make a dandy furnace like I had years ago. And within a week prior to me having to fly back to Alaska for work I finished work'n on a wax pattern for a Harley motor derby cover plate for a friend of mine who's passionate over soccer (football he calls it) and his dear to heart team is "Manchester City F.C." So I offered to duplicate his team's logo into a cast derby cover plate for his Harley motor.
Attachments
Beginning the layout and carving.
Beginning the layout and carving.
Almost done w/carving.
Almost done w/carving.
Rubbed down with graphite to give me a better view of imperfections.  This is where I left off before head'n up to AK for work.
Rubbed down with graphite to give me a better view of imperfections. This is where I left off before head'n up to AK for work.
Here's the small furnace ready for interior lining w/refractory.
Here's the small furnace ready for interior lining w/refractory.
dallen

Post by dallen »

nice job Frank.

I have a little wax carving project that I need to do, only problem is I don't know squat about carving wax, or anything far as that goes. Anyway I'm gonna give it a shot, thing cost 35 dollars and I have a bunch of brass and more time then money.

Damn nice job on the cover!!

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

You would probably want to use microcrystalline wax. If it's too soft, melt it and add some paraffin or rosin. I hear that adding Zip Loc bags makes it harder and tougher too, but I have never tried that. If it's too hard, melt it and add some Vaseline.

Richard