test for studios

FCs Project Collection
F.C.

Re: test for studios

Post by F.C. »

it tells me it's locked, I cannot post, edit, delete, nuth'n...
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Try again FC, I had to make you a moderator of that subforum as the system overrides the permissions on a user basis. The reply button will say locked but click it anyhow. Try making a new topic then try to add a new post to the topic, then see if you can go back and edit and delete those posts.

I think it is set up right now.

Also please check that the permissions do not spill over into the rest of the forum. The permissions system on these boards is a nightmare to me because there are so many different ways you can do things and they dont always act like I would think they should.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Yess indeedy do... it works! Also, from what I've checked it's only the one sub section, my particular page only, those permissions exist.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Great, pretty easy to set up the permissions. I also created a No FC forum and locked it so you can check that you cannot get in there as you are not a moderator of that forum.

I saw your blah blah posts then saw them gone so you will have all the tools you need to do anything you want within that subforum regarding the editing of posts.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Now, that being my "studio" presentation thread, how would I set up additional sub topics within that which I can edit and cull, later, once I'm done with a project, but will also allow for public dialog exchange within it?
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

The test studio forum would be your public studio and posts you want shadowed in there I will move. These will still be available to the public and any posts added in either that thread or the original thread in the regular forum will show up in both places.

The subforum within your studio would be titled something like Finished Works (open to suggestions on this name but it would be the same in all studios), this subforum is where only you will have access and you can create individual threads in there for each of your projects. These threads would be condensed versions of the public threads with just the parts you want in them.
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

So, whatever I post within my "locked" threads also gets posted elsewhere, such as (in this case) the Test Forum thread? I take it any dialog between me and the community takes place "outside" F.C.'s Studio and mirrors into my locked version which I can cull at my leisure?

This is sooo confusing.... :oops: My hat's off to you fellas that create these sites for us to use!!
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

With your project #1 post in the locked subforum i think we may be looking at this two different ways.

I dont see this as a place for members to post their own stuff in their private forums. I see it as a way to let members have a collection of their projects posted in the regular forum organized in one place, their studio but still available in the regular forum.

So for your bike post, you would post your project thread say in

Anti-Casting
Projects other than metal casting.

In the Projects section of the forum, when the post began to flesh out you send me a note saying 'hey could ya move this post (link) over to my studio'. I would move it leaving a shadow in the Projects section keeping the regular forum intact yet adding it to your studio and it can still be posted in at any time by everyone at either location.

Now you having projects all ready to go this would happen pretty fast. Same for others who will be bringing in their own already completed projects but over time this should settle out and projects will develop over time. This is just going to mean a lot of thread moving in the beginning but it only takes a couple of clicks and it will be best in the long run in being able to keep the main posting within the forum proper utilizing the drill down hierarchy.

I suppose this could go the other direction too, if someone posts their project in their studio I could then shadow it to the appropriate section of the forum, same difference as long as they are not posted in the special locked subforum.

Hope this isnt too confusing, I know I can sure turn something simple upside down in hurry at times.
Muller
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Ok... for sake of keeping your life simple, Harry, I'm not intending to dump a lot on this all at once. Rightfully, this sort of priveledge should be a work under progress and not a gallery, so to speak, of "lookit here what I done over the past 20 years of my life!. The idea, as I see it, is to set up shop, hang a sign, open the doors for visitors to browse around the studio (non-public dialog, as it were), then commence to post work in progress as a means to edjumicate and share ideas with public able to comment and share thoughts and ideas, as well. I think the fuzz is lift'n from my head, now.
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I will set up a studio for myself and bring in a few of the posts I have made in the forum. The example might help in showing the way I see this working. As far as limiting posting I would say go for it, each thread you create (in the regular forum) will only add to the content here which is exactly what we need to get off the ground. Moving them over to your studio like I said is a two click deal so a bunch of them is not going to complicate my life, just send me a PM with a link to the thread(s) you want moved.
Muller