Commisioned Life Sized Grizzly Sculpture

FCs Project Collection
F.C.

Re: Commisioned Life Sized Grizzly Sculpture

Post by F.C. »

As promised, here's a few photos showing the effect I had with the spray foam kit. First pic shows being prepped and ready to spray.
Attachments
Foam1.jpg
Last edited by F.C. on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

OMG Frank, at the moment it looks like it just came out of the swamp :lol: :lol: :lol: Just kidding mate ;) This is going to be fantastic watching this come together. I always enjoyed watching Richards projects, but man this is a much bigger project, here's hoping their isn't to many drama's for you with this project Frank
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Sorry... wife nearly passed out earlier this morning right after I posted that picture. Took her to the hospital ER. Thought maybe it was a ruptured appendix by the way she'd been acting prior (I lived through one back when I was like 9 yrs old) which is mainly why I got overly concerned. Anyway, after four hours get'n scanned, probed, and waiting on results it was determined she had diverticulitis (an infection in the colon). She had issues with it a couple decades ago. Guess it's back with a vengeance. Medicine will get it under control, they said.

Anywhoooo... thanks for jinxing me, Mike.... Please, don't mention "drama" again, OK? LOL....

Now, the photos I was start'n to post earlier this morning. The bear's still FAT yet and needs to be dialed back more but for now I need to rest my mind a couple days then look at it again with a fresh eye. I also realize the lighter it is in color the fatter it'll appear. If I spray painted it brown, dark grey, or black, it'd be far more aesthetically appealing.

After carving back all the excess, I must say, it left a frick'n MESS in my shop. I had bits and slivers of electro statically charged foam all over the damn place, including stuck all over me. Even when I'd sweep up and attempt to put some into a trash container it'd instantly (once it began to drop out of the dust pan) would become airborne and then turn back and attach a lot of itself onto me. I NEED A SHOP VAC... :-) . Anyway, the worst of it is cleaned up, now. Took a couple hours for gawd's sake.

See pictures to follow:
Attachments
100_5375.JPG
100_5375.JPG (82.36 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
100_5376.JPG
100_5376.JPG (91.74 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
100_5377.JPG
100_5377.JPG (79.87 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
100_5378.JPG
100_5378.JPG (83.68 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
100_5381.JPG
100_5381.JPG (86.03 KiB) Viewed 2429 times
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

And here are some photos of the foaming process:
Attachments
foam2.jpg
foam6.jpg
foam8.jpg
foam10.jpg
foam11.jpg
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

I think what I'll do next is set up a rosebud torch on a stand and heat my pastry knife red hot then sear the foam surface back rather than shave it off. I did this with the spray can foam before and it worked fairly well, plus left a much harder finish, almost glazed. With a hot knife like that I can also spread some of the foam with a little pressure to smooth out blemishes and to help fill (or cap) air pocket cavities. Cleaning up that foam debris is frustrating as hell. Then when I'm done, heat the knife again and burn off the residual foam. Quick and simple clean up. :-)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Wow, that's really looking great. Hope your wife is better, I had a small bout with that a few years ago.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Oops apologizes about the jinxing Frank :( , I had diverticulitis in about 1996 and I spent two days in hospital, it is not fun and hurts like all f$%Ck, pethidine was my friend :) plus heaps of antibiotics
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

mite5255 wrote:Oops apologizes about the jinxing Frank :( , I had diverticulitis in about 1996 and I spent two days in hospital, it is not fun and hurts like all f$%Ck, pethidine was my friend :) plus heaps of antibiotics
The later photos are sure looking good mate
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Thanks for the appreciated complements, fellas. Hopefully the torch and hot knife will do the trick on expediting getting that foam job done and over with. I am extremely anxious to get the clay slapped to his critter.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hope the good Lady is feeling better Frank