Commisioned Life Sized Grizzly Sculpture

FCs Project Collection
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Ain't this a HOOT.... Got cornered this evening by the "rich dude's wife" who informed me her and her husband decided I was worth investing into (with regard to art). She asked me how much to get my life size Grizley finished and cast and I told her 8 to 10 thousand in materials and outside services. Without a blink she opened her purse, pulled out a check book and wrote me a check for 5K stating this was a deposit on getting my Grizley underway, another 5K (and more if needed) would follow if needed. With check in hand, I'm to meet them tomorrow morning to discuss their anticipation of percentage of sale price once the artwork sells. I'm willing to go as high as 1/3rd of sale price. In my opinion 1/3rd of the fabrication is in materials alone. She said her and her husband (the rich dude) has been well impressed with my set up and portfolio of past works and is committed to help me break ground and get established in this region. His wife, by the way, is one of my sculpture students who've I've been nurturing to expose into sculpture arts. PINCH ME!! This must be a dream. But...... this afternoon's chineese food fortune cookie fortune said... "HANG IN THERE... your hard work will soon pay off". With a 5K check in my pocket I'm not one to argue at this point. Expect some MAD ACTION PROGRESS on that bear sculpture over the next 6 months. :-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

That's FANFUCKINGTASTIC Frank :) , I'm guessing you will take photos and show us the progress :)
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

That's great Frank. I wish I could come and apprentice just to watch the progress. Too far and I don't think Id be much help, just get in the way.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Indeed, Mike.... Jammer, photos of each phase during the sculpture process will be taken and shared.

This reminds me of the time back when I convinced the military brass to let me represent the National Guard in sculpture for this state's Centennial celebration back in 1989. I went from NO savings, NO job, three kids and a wife to feed, full time college student, utility notices of shutoff cause I had no means to pay, debts up to my eyeballs... then suddenly (at the end of that staff meeting with the military brass) I was given a government credit card to purchase whatever I needed, AND given access to any and all materials the military had I felt I could use (including assigning me three men that were welders and fabricators by trade), AND full time active duty status w/pay at my previous military rank from when I served the ARMY. I answered to no one but the post General and not once did he ever come by and check up on my progress. Yeah, he sent officers over on occasion (I'm sure) 'cause there were occasional visits from strangers saying they heard rumor of what was going on and wanted to see how this stuff got made. They were short visits. Fact is, I had no more actual experience at foundry than any noobie wandering into this forum. But I had a passion for art, a clear vision what I wanted to do, and knew where to find answers and guidance regarding foundry work at times it became necessary. You could say, I suppose, the stars were perfectly aligned in my favor back then and the fire gods were well pleased with my initiative and applied efforts.

Maybe it's that time again and the fire gods missed me over the years. HAHA... Gawd, it's been since 2006 since I cast anything. I must'a woke up one of them fire gods when he heard my caldron furnace roar back to life and he got the others attention and they figured to align the stars again to help pave the way for more fun and creativity. :-)

Today I do inventory of the shop and make a list of materials I need to get this boar moving forward, i.e., refractory, talc, welding gases, silicon bronze & SS TIG rod, a 250 gallon propane tank, #12, 16 & 20 crucibles, professional molding materials, spray foam insulation, ball clay, modeling wax supplies, Evedure Bronze ingots, and more steel rod and plate stock. I might be able to have that bear ready to pull a mold off it within three months providing there's no more life bullshit interruptions to contend with. The past few months have been throw'n me some doozies as if trying my patience to the max to see how much I can take and for how long. It's all past, now... for the time being at least. I doubt it'll come about anytime soon with half that effort, regardless, I can live on shit sandwiches with or without bread. (HoooOOAAAAGGH!!!) ;-)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

WTF!! I focused on getting a honey-do project done (pounding fence posts through hard pan dirt and excavating large rocks (plus stretch'n fence wire w/ties for the wife's hobby of keep'n lay'n hens safe and secure) before securing those materials for the bear and somehow did something wrong muscling materials which felt like my left nut instantly took a tap. Rested up a day or two and it helped, then went and picked up some supplies at Home Depot yesterday and mid way load'n my cart I felt that sensation of a "tap" again. I could barely get the truck loaded and back into it when I left. Had the wife give me a deep pressure massage all through my lower and mid back and it didn't seem to do squat till the next morning... it felt somewhat better. Actually did some shop chores later that day but by evening it was paining me again with radiated pain into my kidney area. If it ain't one damn thing it's another, I swear.... I know, I refuse to grow up and NEVER WILL, but I'm guess'n I better figure out quick how to work smarter from now on if I want to fulfill my dream of make'n statuary art. It'll sadden me dearly if I have to end up commissioning my casting to outside services, at least with this Bear. I've dreamed of and messed about with this bear, now, since 2005 and hauled it back and forth from AK to WA and back, then six years later hauled it back here where it sits today eyeball'n me every time I'm in the shop. My soul NEEDS to do the foundry work as much as it needs to create the sculpture itself. For now, though, I need to slow down and stop beating myself up with grunt labor... maybe lean on a friend's help now and then and offer him compensation as the progress develops. Maybe start wear'n the kidney belt and a jock strap. Might also invest in a good bottle of whiskey to keep in the shop for medicinal purposes... ;-) ... thin the blood some and dull the pains, hahaha.

Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a spray foam kit to finish build'n up that bear's anatomy. It's pricey as all hell but no worse than a shit load of spray cans would cost. The wider fan spray of the kit will more evenly apply the foam and allow for a more uniform expansion where applied. Expansion rate is 3:1 on the foam and sets hard within 20 to 30 minutes. What'll irritate me most is shave'n a lot of it back to dial in the anatomy which considering the expense of the kit ($600+) that'll be a lot of money lost to trash. But I guess I just need to bite the bullet and keep focus on the end result which once the bear's sold its profit ought to sever me from debt completely. All other sculpture from then on would be far greater rewards which will ultimately allow me to fund my own work.

Today I'm try'n to finish off a table top napkin holder for the wife's kitchen. It's been in the works for the past year, HAHA... but it's nagg'n me cause it's always there, always have'n to move it outta the way, etc., plus I've got a rock saw I've been resurrecting as a design build onto a small kit trailer I bought used last spring. I need to get that napkin holder done and that rock saw installed on that trailer and back outside under a tarp so I'll have more room on the shop floor to work that Bear. All the heavy grunt work on that saw I can do with my hoist and not strain myself. I'll do up some photos once I find my camera again. I need it, now, for documenting the progress on this commission.
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Okie doke.... here's some updates of a few of my current projects starting with the napkin holder for the wifey (gotta keep the squaw happy and feel'n loved), then my rock saw build, and the current status of the bear sculpture. The only thing I've done, so far, on it is reinforce the legs so I don't have to tie a rope around its neck and tether it to the roof truss to steady it stand'n upright. It took a fall in the trailer ship'n it back down here to WA which weakened a leg. It now stands on its own again. Awaiting spray foam to finish building its anatomy.
Attachments
100_5297.JPG
100_5298.JPG
100_5293.JPG
100_5294.JPG
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Looks like a good start Frank, and the wife should like the holder. Looks great.
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:WTF!! I focused on getting a honey-do project done (pounding fence posts through hard pan dirt and excavating large rocks (plus stretch'n fence wire w/ties for the wife's hobby of keep'n lay'n hens safe and secure) before securing those materials for the bear and somehow did something wrong muscling materials which felt like my left nut instantly took a tap. Rested up a day or two and it helped, then went and picked up some supplies at Home Depot yesterday and mid way load'n my cart I felt that sensation of a "tap" again. I could barely get the truck loaded and back into it when I left. Had the wife give me a deep pressure massage all through my lower and mid back and it didn't seem to do squat till the next morning... it felt somewhat better. Actually did some shop chores later that day but by evening it was paining me again with radiated pain into my kidney area. If it ain't one damn thing it's another, I swear.... I know, I refuse to grow up and NEVER WILL, but I'm guess'n I better figure out quick how to work smarter from now on if I want to fulfill my dream of make'n statuary art. It'll sadden me dearly if I have to end up commissioning my casting to outside services, at least with this Bear. I've dreamed of and messed about with this bear, now, since 2005 and hauled it back and forth from AK to WA and back, then six years later hauled it back here where it sits today eyeball'n me every time I'm in the shop. My soul NEEDS to do the foundry work as much as it needs to create the sculpture itself. For now, though, I need to slow down and stop beating myself up with grunt labor... maybe lean on a friend's help now and then and offer him compensation as the progress develops. Maybe start wear'n the kidney belt and a jock strap. Might also invest in a good bottle of whiskey to keep in the shop for medicinal purposes... ;-) ... thin the blood some and dull the pains, hahaha.

Decided to bite the bullet and purchase a spray foam kit to finish build'n up that bear's anatomy. It's pricey as all hell but no worse than a shit load of spray cans would cost. The wider fan spray of the kit will more evenly apply the foam and allow for a more uniform expansion where applied. Expansion rate is 3:1 on the foam and sets hard within 20 to 30 minutes. What'll irritate me most is shave'n a lot of it back to dial in the anatomy which considering the expense of the kit ($600+) that'll be a lot of money lost to trash. But I guess I just need to bite the bullet and keep focus on the end result which once the bear's sold its profit ought to sever me from debt completely. All other sculpture from then on would be far greater rewards which will ultimately allow me to fund my own work.

Today I'm try'n to finish off a table top napkin holder for the wife's kitchen. It's been in the works for the past year, HAHA... but it's nagg'n me cause it's always there, always have'n to move it outta the way, etc., plus I've got a rock saw I've been resurrecting as a design build onto a small kit trailer I bought used last spring. I need to get that napkin holder done and that rock saw installed on that trailer and back outside under a tarp so I'll have more room on the shop floor to work that Bear. All the heavy grunt work on that saw I can do with my hoist and not strain myself. I'll do up some photos once I find my camera again. I need it, now, for documenting the progress on this commission.
We're getting older Frank, and we just need to realize that we cannot do what we use to, I know its hard but we just have to do it or we're gunna break down further. Every time I need to do some thing that I think will harm this stuffed body of mine I really think about how I'm gunna tackle it
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

F.C. wrote:Okie doke.... here's some updates of a few of my current projects starting with the napkin holder for the wifey (gotta keep the squaw happy and feel'n loved), then my rock saw build, and the current status of the bear sculpture. The only thing I've done, so far, on it is reinforce the legs so I don't have to tie a rope around its neck and tether it to the roof truss to steady it stand'n upright. It took a fall in the trailer ship'n it back down here to WA which weakened a leg. It now stands on its own again. Awaiting spray foam to finish building its anatomy.
I'm going to love watching this all come together, it will be a great learning experience. Man that's a nice napkin holder :)
F.C.

Post by F.C. »

Thanks fellas... :D

Today I've decided to bite the bullet and order some commercial spray foam insulation (closed cell foam) that has a 3:1 expansion rate that I'll use to build up the bear's anatomy to where a final skin of clay (approximately 1/2" thick) will allow for final detailing of fur and other critical details. Use of the foam will add less than 30 lbs of weight to the overall model plus give it structural strength to support the clay more evenly over the entire structure. The clay will add probably another 200 lbs. What I don't want is the weight of any clay used to cause the structure to lean off balance and distort the "stance" I want it to have. If that begins to occur I'll have to install support rods attached to the base and at various points of the body to ensure the positioning of the anatomy remains intact.

Once the detailing is done I'll seal it with a release agent then spray on (or brush on) a layer of RTV rubber as an initial mold that will be done in removable sections. Then the task of spraying on a durable "plastic-like" mother mold over the RTV rubber inner mold pieces which will ensure the inner mold layer stays registered to the appropriate shape.

Then comes the daunting task of disassembly of the mold pieces and painting the inner mold sections with molten wax to build up the actual "final" wax model impression I'll use to invest, burn out, and cast into bronze each of those sections (which will entail numerous pieces). At this point you know the rest which requires reassembly of the bronze sections by welding/brazing, etc. and finally doing the last bit of detailing of chasing all the welds and imperfections, devising and installing anchor devices for mounting the sculpture to a base, coating it with a nice rich chocolate brown patina, buffing highlights, and FINALLY sealing the entire sculpture with a preservative clear coat.

This is basically what I did a while back when I created that BALTO Dog sculpture, except I did that mold with plaster only, painted the interior of the plaster shell with wax, removed the wax, reassembled the wax to a full body representation again, then cut the finished wax model into sections that would facilitate casting with the crucible volume I had to work with. Each of those wax sections were gated and vented with wax rods (3/8" to 1/2" thicknesses) then each section was invested in plaster and the wax burned out and cast of bronze. Reassembly of the bronze sections was liken to what I described already regarding the bear.

When it comes to sculpture there's no way around it, ya got to build the damn thing four times... i.e., the initial model, then reverse building as a negative shell, then build it again in wax sections, then again in bronze sections. Now you know why sculptures cost so damn much, HAHA...

The added benefit is then having a permanent mold to use for duplication afterward, if not as the original design, one can duplicate pieces of it to use to help expedite another work of similar composition. You know what that'll lead to, though, don't'cha? .... yep, need of mold storage space, i.e., another shop extension!! HAHA...

The spray foam will be arriving first part of next week. The build up of that bear's anatomy should only take a day; carving back excess foam to ready for the clay surface details should only take another day or two. Application of the clay skin layer will take a couple to three days. That's, of course, an ideal scenario not necessarily a given in what may or may not be required. Like a woman giving birth to a child, it'll happen in its own time. The more one attempts to force it to happen the more risk there is of complications.

I've been dreaming and getting my mind prepped for this for over 8 years. I need to stay focused and not waste any material due to mistakes made in haste. Progress pics will commence once the foam is being applied. I am soooooo Jazzed right now I can't begin to describe the flurry of thoughts and excitement my mind's goin through. :lol: