Harry's Molding Bench

Harry
Site Admin

Harry's Molding Bench

Post by Harry » Sun May 29, 2011 5:33 pm

The Bench, a good bench to get up off the ground was one of those wow moments in improving making molds as opposed to being on my knees on the ground. Each side will hold about 500 lbs of sand and keeping about 750 lbs in the system has been working out well for me. When I have molds made and I am waiting for metal to melt I will mull sand and usually the right side is sitting like this ready with a full bin any time I want to make molds.
Mulled sand on the right and shakeout on the left. The stakes on the left have steel backbones welded to them to prevent spring and keep them from trying to walk and fall into the bin. On the right, a good scoop, a stake for striking off and a trowel which is just really handy.
Right above the bench, air rammer, parting dust (sock in a can screwed to the wall) and blower, the rammer has 60 PSI and the blower gets 5... more on the blower below.
Before I shake out I use the trowel and a small bucket and take just a minute to get rid some of the most burnt sand. Here I have cleaned the left side of the mold up while the right is just as it was when opened. Once cleaned I use the trowel to poke the sand a little and get it started falling out then a couple of raps of the flask against the stakes and the rest falls out. (that is the iron flask ODD sent me)
HF sells these little blowers, they both amplify the volume and soften the force a little which makes it great for blowing out molds before closing them up. That little venturi is amazing how much air you get when you crank the pressure up. I used this a lot when I was working at the end of the day all of the guys would use it to blow their clothes off before getting into their cars.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller

Harry
Site Admin

Re: Harry's Molding Bench

Post by Harry » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:51 pm

Got the second bench set up today and added 700 lbs of sand to my system so the heap is now up to 1500 lbs. Each bin of the double sinks holds 500 lbs so three are full and one is left empty to shake out in. Will get some pictures but I was too whipped to go back out with the camera tonight. The new bench is set up about 6' over from this one so its not much trouble to shovel scoops of sand from one to the other. Nice thing about the new bench is that I will be facing the other direction so instead of staring at the wall of the shop I will be looking over the fence which is a pretty nice view.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller

Nudge

Post by Nudge » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Cool, it would be good to see a pic of the setup. :)
I like to build "Stuff" using Stuff that costs Stuff All!

Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:21 am

I am going to take some new pictures... have a little cleanup to do ;) loads of stuff piled around from moving everything and from the other work I have been doing out there. Been pressing these last few days to get what I need in place for the coming week. I have a helper coming out who has made molds for me before, he is pretty good at it and worth the money I am paying him but I really needed the second bench so I could also mold when I have time rather than standing around.
Muller