Can we shake it up here?

Ideas for making the forum better or fixing problems.
Jammer

Can we shake it up here?

Post by Jammer »

I've been thinking about this forum since AA is down again and thought about adding some new areas and clarifying some of the original threads. Mainly I thought about some other metalworking. An area dedicated to Iron only, with Iron casting, smelting Iron, forge work, Crucible steels and anything Ferrous metal related. There are some guys in the Carolinas that are smelting ore and doing some really interesting stuff.

Maybe similar areas for Brass/Bronze, Aluminum, and white metals like Lead, Bismuth.. etc.

Anything else anyone can think of to clear up some of the forums?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
dallen

Re: Can we shake it up here?

Post by dallen »

Jammer wrote:I've been thinking about this forum since AA is down again and thought about adding some new areas and clarifying some of the original threads. Mainly I thought about some other metalworking. An area dedicated to Iron only, with Iron casting, smelting Iron, forge work, Crucible steels and anything Ferrous metal related. There are some guys in the Carolinas that are smelting ore and doing some really interesting stuff.

Maybe similar areas for Brass/Bronze, Aluminum, and white metals like Lead, Bismuth.. etc.

Ok by me, if you can get them to come over to the dark side.

DA
David and Charlie aka the shop monster

If life seems normal your not going fast enough" Mario Andrette
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

dallen wrote:
Jammer wrote:I've been thinking about this forum since AA is down again and thought about adding some new areas and clarifying some of the original threads. Mainly I thought about some other metalworking. An area dedicated to Iron only, with Iron casting, smelting Iron, forge work, Crucible steels and anything Ferrous metal related. There are some guys in the Carolinas that are smelting ore and doing some really interesting stuff.

Ok by me, if you can get them to come over to the dark side.

DA
Your suggestions sound good to me Jerry.....Smelting ore I would just LOVE to try that

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Rasper

Post by Rasper »

I don't want to do any of that stuff (I'm just a sculptor casting my work in bronze) but I absolutely love reading about it.

Richard
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

I was in on a smelt a couple years ago. I got in the way mostly. I don't know what happened to the Iron sponge, but I did get a little piece of Iron from the dirt and slag that was left. They thought it was about 1.5% Carbon.
The site I looked at for info on Old Iron Furnaces has shut down, so I may expand on my own pictures and the furnace sites I've visited. Mainly because I'll forget where I was before much longer.
I'm also very interested in Cupola furnaces and would like to build one myself. I would have to recruit some help to run it, it takes at least 3 people to operate it. I'm sure some have done it by themselves but that would be pretty risky. I don't think my wife would be much help. She may take videos so she could show it to the EMT"s.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote: She may take videos so she could show it to the EMT"s.
Your lucky to have such a considerate wife mate :D

I would love to find a group that does bronze and iron age type work, from smelting copper and iron ore to casting their weapons and implements. I love ancient history and how they achieved things
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/361798240526981/

You'll like these guys, they're doing a lot of historical type Iron smelts from all over the world.
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Jammer wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/361798240526981/

You'll like these guys, they're doing a lot of historical type Iron smelts from all over the world.
Thanks Jerry, I'll waste some time going over that facebook page :lol: