Forum Issues/Improvements

Ideas for making the forum better or fixing problems.
Harry
Site Admin

Forum Issues/Improvements

Post by Harry »

I noticed one post that needed to be approved. I have no intention of regulating posting here and thought everything was set to allow posting by members without approval. It is odd because it was only one post, I think it might have something to do with how many posts a member has in that this member had more posts than others that seem to be working fine. This forum has a feature for limiting posting rights for new members which I have lifted but once you are automatically upgraded from new member status it gives you a different set of rights.

So bear with me as we get this sorted out. I am no wiz with this software but I can usually muddle around and get things working.

Also, on mods/improvements. There is a ton of stuff put out by phpBB community members to enhance the forum. I am not totally averse to adding things that will enhance the board but like to keep things somewhat simplified so updating the forum software when bug fixes come out is as painless as possible. So if something is just too awesome not to have we can add it if I can figure it out or if a phpBB wiz comes along to help with the technical side of things it could open more doors.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Re: Forum Issues/Improvements

Post by Harry »

Having another small issue with images. Seems a large image will post fine with the board resizing it to fit the constraints in the ACP which I had set at 800 px wide and is now 640 wide. But a small er picture wants to get a scroll bar on the side of it. I have found this
Assuming you're using the prosilver style, there's this code in the content.css file:

Code: Select all

.attach-image {
            margin: 3px 0;
            width: 100%;
            max-height: 350px;
            overflow: auto;
    }
This will mean that any image that's taller than 350 pixels will get a scrollbar. You can remove or adjust that max-height line to your liking.
I have tried both editing the height line to 1200 and deleting both the height and max overflow lines in content.css

Each attempt after uploading the new content.css file I have refreshed styles>themes>refresh but nothing seems to stick. When I try to upload the image in question it still has scroll bars on the image. Will continue to look for a solution on this.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Well seems to be an issue particular to the cataclysm style applied to the forum. Since I got this style from phpBB.net it is not supported by phpBB. I have added a couple more styles and will be adapting them, these came from the phpBB styles database and from what I can tell are acting properly. Will be tweaking on these over the coming days and if I get one into shape I like will change the default style.

Keep in mind every member can set their own style in the user control panel so eventually we will have something for everyone. Just takes time because each style needs some finessing, at least for me as I havent seen one yet I completely liked right out of the box :)
Muller
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Ok, looks like the scroll bars on the images problem is fixed. I believe one of my problems with seeing updates on edits has to do with my particular internet connection. The two way satellite uses a lot of caching at the hub so changes made here dont necessarily show up right away. Sure makes troubleshooting a huge pain at times.

At any rate pictures are looking good now as noted by 4cf's recent post chock full of images :mrgreen:

Still not sure how the post approval thing is working out and will have to wait as more people move from new member to the member group to see if it affects their posting rights.

All of this is kind of a pain to get going but once it is all set up it runs itself so I will try and stay hunkered down fixing things as I find them.
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Hi Harry. On BYMC when you answer or start a thread you can have it set to send you a email to say someone has answered or there is activity, is there a setting for this forum that does that

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

Sure Mike, check the links at the bottom of the page for Subscribe topic.
Muller
mite5255

Post by mite5255 »

Harry wrote:Sure Mike, check the links at the bottom of the page for Subscribe topic.
Got it, thanks mate

Mike
When life gets tough, remember: You were the strongest sperm :)
Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Is there a way that links in the threads could be opened in a new window? I keep getting kicked out when I click on a link, like the miniture engine link you posted. I know, I can go back, but I always seem to hit the X button. I can't help myself.
Or is this something we have to set up on our own computer?
quando omni flunkus moritati 8-)
Heimo

Post by Heimo »

Jammer wrote:Is there a way that links in the threads could be opened in a new window? I keep getting kicked out when I click on a link, like the miniture engine link you posted. I know, I can go back, but I always seem to hit the X button. I can't help myself.
Or is this something we have to set up on our own computer?
if you are using firefox right click the link then say open in new window or open in new tab....
Harry
Site Admin

Post by Harry »

I believe you can do that in your own browser. Also you can right click and choose 'open in new tab/window' when clicking a link instead of left clicking the link.

I did find a solution here but I am not crazy about adding it as it would have to be applied to every style and require an editing of the scripts which could down the road with updates to the forum break and require servicing. I like to keep the scripts as vanilla plain as I can to keep the future simple and since there is the right click option it is even less appealing.

Lets keep this open for future input, if the consensus is that it would be good for the forum I will add it.
Muller