How about an introductions section!

Ideas for making the forum better or fixing problems.
davidbraley

How about an introductions section!

Post by davidbraley »

Pretty darn quit around here. Like the title says, how about an introduction section?

I also think a sub-section under "Machines" on where to find materials in your area. This would be materials and tools specific to foundry construction. It can be divided up by regions or even states. I know, sounds complicated. Also list the companies you have done business with that you like! And the ones to avoid. :?

David
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!
Harry
Site Admin

Re: How about an introductions section!

Post by Harry »

Excellent suggestions David. I want to build a hierarchy in the subforums to create a drill down method of finding where to post and of course to make it easy to find those posts later. It requires a couple more clicks to get down to a particular post but in the long run will make it much easier to find information later when you want to use it. It does get a little complicated trying to decide where best to put things and I am sure there will be some moving of things around later but with good feedback like your post above we will get there.

On the dividing up by states, I could set up a forum for each state but then there is other countries, and individual provinces for many of them. This would make a bit of mess with many of them not ever being used. I think it would be better for users to post individual threads for locations like

California - Foundry supplies

Then future California suppliers could be added to that thread. This way we only add threads where we know where the suppliers. Down the road as more information is collected if a user organizes information into a single post with links to all the different localities and keeps that single post updated it could be stickied. If the user that started such a post drifts away and someone else wants to pick it up and keep it updated the post is simply copied into a post of their own (a note of credit to the prior keeper(s) would be nice) and the old post is unstickied and the new brought to the top and the new keeper will have editing rights.

The scripts that phpBB3 are based on are incredibly powerful and flexible. With some good judgement and a little effort an awful lot of information can be had at the tip of a finger.
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints the sinners are much more fun...
Muller
davidbraley

Re: How about an introductions section!

Post by davidbraley »

I think that's excellent! I know it can get complicated, but it's worth trying to find a way to organize it. For me, the very first thing I thought about after learning some of the basics of how to build a little home foundry is, "Where do you get some of this stuff?" Seeings how most of this stuff is super heavy, buying local would help on costs.

David
-David

I cut it off three times! And it's still too short!